Warning!! Virus from youtube

Tiger Moth

I am 99.9% sure a clip I was watching downloaded a virus and wiped out my system.

Here is what happened. I was watching a clip on youtube, a boxing match, when in the middle of the clip some text appeared. It said basically, your system is about to be fcuked, registry destoyed, etc.

I immediately exited.

As it turns out, I am running Windows Vista Ultimate with automatic updates turned on.

So, shortly thereafter, automatic updates were applied and Vista shut my system down.

When the reboot happened, it was unsuccessful. Some needed program or dll or whatever was missing and I was asked to insert my boot disk.

I acquired my copy of Windows Ultimate Vista via download from the internet. Perhaps I should have known that I should create a boot disk (the download did not advise me to do so nor say how I could do so).

So, I was dead in the water.

This being Thailand, I immediately purchased a copy of Windows Vista Ultimate for 100 baht. I have an external disk drive and so was able to retrieve all my data.

But, it took me about 12 hours to get going again and things are imperfect - for example, I lost all my bookmarks in Firefox.

It is slightly possible that the automatic updates from MS for Vista Ultimate caused the problem. But, I think it is 99.9% that the youtube clip did what it said. .001% the automatic updates caused the problem.

My only concern for the future is, if I watch a clip on youtube, am I putting my system at risk?

Well, my first inclination was to think that MS had caused the problem.

I had an authorized, legit copy of MS Windows Vista Ultimate for several months and had been using automatic updates - applied by MS via the internet. Thus, it seems I had at the time of the problem, the equivalent of the MS current base version of Vista Ultimate. Since the automatic update and subsequent automatic restart resulted in a failure to restart, this implies to me that MS did not, one single time, test the update that they sent out. While this was my first inclination as the cause of my problem, it was so beyond my belief that I had to consider the video. Otherwise, every user of Vista Ultimate, with automatic updates (must be quite a few), must have had a similar fate. I concluded that no one, not even MS could be so incompetent. But, maybe they were....

I have had an automatic update with Vista go wrong on me once and it took me a long time to get the laptop up and running again.

It took weeks before it was working without snags again.

Basically even though you theoratically can leave your comp alone while it is doing an update, practically you cannot .....

w

Archived