Formula 1 - Season 2009

Mentors

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alonso: Formula One is dead

Fernando Alonso summed up the effect of FOTA's plans to start a breakaway series on F1 by saying the sport is dead.

FOTA announced on Friday morning that none of the eight teams would be competing in next year's Championship, opting instead to start an independent series without Max Mosley's voice.

And according to Alonso, this marks the end of F1 as we know it.

"Yes, more or less, yes," he said when asked if Formula One was dead.

"It keeps going but obviously with the same engine for everybody, small teams, nobody knows those teams, nobody knows the drivers... So it's like A1GP, GP2, so it's a very nice category but no one cares.

"It was sad news, for sure, because we all hoped for a solution in the last moment and it didn't happen. So now it's a new thing.

"A new category will arrive and Formula 1 may disappear, so we need to go the best category which at the moment is the FOTA one, with the best teams in the world and the best drivers in the world. I think it can be a good one.

"Obviously it's my opinion, but I'm sure 99 percent of the drivers will agree with me.

"Everybody is losing. The teams are losing, the FIA is not losing anything because they don't put the money. The drivers are losing, but I think the worst thing is for Formula 1. But we'll see.

"The new category seems very attractive, for the fans as well, with maybe better prices for tickets, and things like that. We'll become a new category, a new Formula 1.

"I believe that things can be done better than in Formula 1, so the new category maybe can improve a couple of things."

Link

F1 split ends as Mosley backs down

FIA President Max Mosley has said he will not stand for re-election as head of Formula 1's governing body.

His announcement today has effectively ended the threat of a potential breakaway series.

An agreement between the F1 teams and the FIA was reached after a meeting at the governing body's headquarters in Paris.

http://www.channel4.com/4car/news/news-story.jsp?news_id=19301

:content:

• 3 weeks later...

Archived