Big Tobacco Make A Comeback

Steve

When the US lowered the voting age in federal elections to 18, some states went ahead and lowered the drinking age to 18. The feds were outraged and insisted those states raise it back up to 21. If they did not, they would forfeit any federal highway money. So much for states' rights.

As it is now, a GI on a military base on US soil cannot legally drink under the age of 18. The GI might be an Airborne Ranger, Special Forces or Marine Recon. Doesn't matter ... can't be trusted with a 3.5% horse piss beer, but deadly weapons are okay.

:p

During conscription in Australia in the 60's there was a push to get all military personal full adult rights, including voting, and it eventually became law for all 18 year old's in 1973.

The drinking age was lowered to 18 in 1969, several weeks before I turned 21.

At the risk of arrest I will now confess I had sampled the evil liquid illegally on a number of occasions.

The stupid 21 drinking limit for GIs is only on US soil. We drank all we wanted in Vietnam ... when we could get it. (Warm beer is better than none.) But a friend who'd been stationed in Germany told me his barracks even had beer in the soft drink machine.

US conscription usually got guys from 20 to 23. 17 year olds weren't sent to Vietnam. They'd get sent to Germany or Korea to await their 18th birthday!

The stupid 21 drinking limit for GIs is only on US soil. We drank all we wanted in Vietnam ... when we could get it. (Warm beer is better than none.) But a friend who'd been stationed in Germany told me his barracks even had beer in the soft drink machine.

US conscription usually got guys from 20 to 23. 17 year olds weren't sent to Vietnam. They'd get sent to Germany or Korea to await their 18th birthday!

I have a brother-in-law who did several tours in Vietnam. When he enisted in the Marines, he was underaged. He lied about his age.

What pisses me off is some of the college kids go to Mexico and get drunk. Even if they are not driving and are under 21 (Mexico you only have to be 18 years old) they get busted when they cross back into the USA.

Same happens when bringing Cuban cigars back. Strange seeing a bunch of cigars in a person's shirt pocket without any bands on them.

Having a smoke is still a big issue in the USA. What I don't like is if a USA soldier gets shot and is dying (and happens to be less then 21 years of age) he can not have a last smoke.

Use of tobacco is allowed at 18 years of age. Alcohol is 21.

Glad you brought this up. When I was young, this wasn't a problem. Nobody checked nobody but today, some places card everybody to make sure they are not under aged.

Archived