Transport from U-Tapao to BKK?

cavanami

Utapao is not that close to Pattaya. Five years ago, It took my limo 45 minutes from the Pattaya Park hotel.

You did stop off for your hair to be styled on the way hence the time warp!

As the crow flies from the junction of Pattaya Klaeng / Sukhumvit to the middle of the airstrip I would say approx 33.56KM

I left Thailand on Sat, 29 Nov 2008 and flew from U-Tapao to the USA on Korean Airlines (KE) via UTP-ICN-JFK-IAD. When I arrived at U-Tapao from Bangkok via taxi, I did not see any passengers trying to take my taxi, so there must be a large time lag when planes land and when the planes take off. The taxi just dropped me off and started driving back to Pattaya.

On Friday evening around 7pm, I hailed a taxi in front of Majestic Suites and I was quoted 2,000 baht + tolls. The taxi driver got lost on the way to U-Tapao and I my trip took about 2 hr 40 min, but I got to the U-Tapao airport in time and I made the flight which was scheduled to leave at 10:30pm, but finally took off at 3am. As of Friday, 9:40pm, the taxi was able to just drive up to the terminal, and there was no traffic backup. On Monday, the news I read said there was a 2 km traffic backup to get to the U-Tapao terminal.

Previously, on Sunday, 16 Nov 2008, I hailed a taxi from Majestic Suites to Pattaya for 1,300 baht + tolls. On Tuesday, 18 Nov 2008, I returned from Pattaya to Sukhumvbit via F1 Taxi Service (Jeab) for 800 baht + tolls. 800-900 baht was pretty standard rate I saw around Pattaya. I booked one day in advance, and paid Jeab 200 baht deposit. The taxi showed up at my Pattaya hotel on time as arranged and drove me to my hotel in Bangkok.

Jeab Taxi Service email and phone contact are "jeab_3366@yahoo.comâ? and 086-158-1837. Her business card quotes the following rates excluding tolls:

Taxi Meter to Airport 800 baht

Private car to Airport 1,200 baht

Mini Bus to Airport 1,500 baht

Airport (bkk) to Pattaya 1,000 baht

These rates were prior to the BKK airport shutdown. My impression was that Jeab was a booking service that matched returning BKK taxis and passengers so BKK taxis could get a fare both ways. Jeab was located in a small booth in front of a bar on Pattaya 2nd Rd between Soi 7 and Soi 8. You can email Jeab, but given the current 2km+ traffic backup situation, I donâ??t know how a prearranged taxi driver will find you among other passengers trying to take your ride and outbidding your prearranged fare. Good luck.

On Fri evening, there was chaos at U-Tapao. For example, when I tried to check-in, I entered the U-Tapao terminal and had my baggage go thru the security x-ray, and began looking for the KE check-in only to find out that the KE check-in was outside under the tree. By then it was impossible to try to get two large bags through the crowd. They might have developed a better system, but there are more people now trying to fly out of U-Tapao and more chaos. It was wall to wall people with standing room only and very difficult to move through the crowd with two large bags and to find out where to go. Fortunately, I was flying business class, and there was a separate counter to check-in bags for first class and business class. I saw many passengers boarding the plane with their large baggage in tow and taking their bags on the bus, and gate checking the bag prior to boarding the plane.

Archived