Suvarnhaphumi starting to reopen!

Mentors

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

PAD penetrated the safe zone - that is, they went past immigration and past the metal detectors. What if a PAD protestor accidentally or otherwise left a weapon (say, a rifle or even a knife) somewhere in the safe zone. Swampy is huge. Imagine how long it will take to search every nook and cranny of that place?

I am certainly no expert in this area, but employing a bit of common sense, and assuming PAD actually leaves in the next 24 hours, 15 December sounds reasonable to me for re-opening the airport. Do we have any real airport experts on this board?

Uncertainty surrounds Thai airport reopening

Thailand's airports operator will decide on Wednesday (local time) how soon flights can resume from Bangkok's main airports after protesters agreed to end a week-long blockade.

"By tomorrow afternoon, I should be able to issue a statement on when we return to normal," Serirat Prasutanond, acting head of Airports of Thailand, said.

Airport technicians have already been allowed into the airport to make assessments. :)

But in a statement issued before the protesters announced the end of their siege, Mr Serirat said the airports would stay closed until December 15.

"The rally has caused massive damage to the country. We will try to open the airport as soon as possible," he said.

A cargo plane operated by K-Mile Air has already left the airport.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/12/02/2436073.htm

let's hope that it will works already this week. :content:

THE NATION

2 Dec 2008

Bring me home, pleads Thai tourist

A female Thai tourist, stranded in Los Angeles, asked the Thai Foreign Affairs Ministry and Thai Airways yesterday to help her to get home.

The woman, whose name was not revealed, said she intended to return to Thailand before the anti-government protesters seized both Bangkok airports, but was unable to find the ticket, and then her US visa expired on November 30. She asked the Thai Consulate in LA for help to gain an extension, but was turned down.

She said she heard from Thailand that THAI planes might collect stranded passengers abroad and return them to Rayong's Utapao airport. She tried to call THAI, but reached only the answering machine.

"I want to go home now because my pocket money is running out waiting for a flight and for the Bangkok airport to open," she said, urging that THAI help her and others facing a similar fate.

If they are letting cargo flights in and out, then obviously the radar, control tower and associated systems are OK, so flight safety should n't be a problem.As for check-in, baggage handling systems etc and security sweeps there is no reason why they could n't open up progressively ... international first, then domestic. So it could start up fairly soon, but it would take a while to be in full swing.

With THAI as first priority I hope

Yes, IF cargo flights were still in function which is not what I heard -> then it would mean that every service would have to restart.

Radar control, ATC, meteorological and runway services should be easy to restart (give them 2-3 days).

Security swaps are another matter.

We are the 2nd of December so even if the 15th seem to be rather cautious (for any reason) don't expect the airport to be fully operational before some time.

But as money rules, I feel that if there are not further disruptions the commercial flights might restart before the 15th.

Archived