Incubator for Farang Start-Up Businesses in BKK

Originally posted by choopthai:

What is the legal status regarding doing some business on the internet and being located in Thailand while doing so? Is there any regulation that would make it illegal do to so?QUOTE]

You would need a work permit to be legal,

If you do business on the internet and you are staying here in Thailand, you are then classed as working in Thailand, so a work permit is required,

What are the costs involved if a Farang married to a Thai wishes to startup a business here in Thailand?

quote:

Originally posted by Bembaman:

Choop,

Some observations. Firstly, do not set up a 'farang company' unless you really need to. There are a lot of issues right now. It is an admin nightmare with a lot of bollocks that goes with it. My company was raided at Xmas and i am starting to hear many such stories. Many farangs leap to the conclusion that only a Co with work permit will suffice. WP's are getting quite difficult and there is a crackdown on small farang businesses going on right now. My friend was visited by the authorities today and told he had to get more money, either by sales or investment.

An option you have if you want to consider it is this:

Set up a Thai company-you can be an investor no problem, up to 49%. The articles can state that a 60% majority is needed to do anything 'serious' as protection. Your other protection is that as an internet business the website is the business and I presume you will develop this, control the databases, passwords etc. Effectively there is little risk of the Thais kicking you out. If they do, walk and set up nextdoor. Get the site registered in YOUR name and the company can lease/rent it from you. A lot of this may depend on whether you have a stable Thai GF or not.

The advantages:

Thais do not have to have officially designated 'office space'

You do not have to employ 4 Thais

The problem is that you will not get a work permit but you may not get one anyway for such a business.

Also, you cannot be seen to be active in the business-ideal internet scenario!

Pricing from
but around B30,000 if no work permits involved.

just an idea-hope this helps. I looked into this extensively recently and this is what i was advised. I would be interested tyo hear other peoples views on this as you hear so many different bits of advice floating around.

quote:

What are the costs involved if a Farang married to a Thai wishes to startup a business here in Thailand?

Same as if a single farang wants to start up a business!

Archived