US$ or \ account in BKK

jp1

I'm travelling quite often on business to Thailand. Changing money at the airport is no problem but I would like toÂ@know whether or not it is possible for a Non resident foreigner to open a US$ or JP Yen Bank account in Thailand. If not is there at least a chance to open an account in THB for Non residents?

Any advice is highly appreciated.

jp1

All-

I have been a customer of TFB for about two years now. I maintain both a bath-denominated savings (passbook) account as well as a USD-demoninated Time Deposit Account (a series of rollover CD's)...

According to TFB (I use the Main branch) any foreigner with proper credentials and an address may open either or both types of accounts. They will ask to see your passport and make a copy of the information page. The address seems to be just a formality as no regular paper statements are ever mailed. Tax statements do get mailed at the end of the year.

It is a simple process to open either account. TFB does require a larger initial opening balance for any of their non-baht accounts.

If you are seeking a checking or draft account, then you'll need a proper work permit or resident alien book to show your status. Checking accounts are practically worthless in Thailand as there are very, very few merchants (except the largest of retail stores and most utility providers) that will accept such personal checks.

TFB allows me to make deposits, withdraw funds (in the form of a bank check) check the current balances and all other basic non-cash transactions from their Los Angeles Branch Office if I so desire.

I have no experience with the other Bangkok-based banks but suspect that their policies, procedures and services will be much the same as TFB.

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Open an HSBC US$ account in the West. My account is in the west. No fees charge (if I have my minimum balance). My address is local here. I get my statements sent here directly from the bank. I can withdraw money at about 90% of all the ATM's here in Thailand. They have internet banking.

<<burp>>

• 7 months later...

gummigut:

You mentioned opening a $U.S. account with HSBC in the west. Someone from Canada, would they not be better off opening a $Canadian account in Canada with HSBC? Otherwise I would think the currency conversion from $CDN to $U.S., then to Thai bhat once it reached Thailand would kill them?

One of the things I thought was great was that even though you open the bank account with HSBC in the west, you can use your Thai address.

I use any ATM and incur no charges.

Haven't compared exchange rates recently though.

I have lost two cards already and they've always been happy to ship me a new one (and I'm waiting for the second one as I am writing this email).

I really wish I had some business to throw their way. The best bank I have ever dealt with. Just my personal experience.

As to Canadian HSBC vs US, I don't know what to tell you. The Canadian HSBC may be truly a different operation. I originally tried to transfer my US account and they said they couldn't because Thailand HSBC is a "different" bank. Knowing now about how foreign operations are run here, I now truly understand smile.gif

<<burp>>

Thanks for the reply. I believe HSBC only has a few branches in Bangkok. When you're not near an HSBC atm, what bank's atm can you use without incurring charges? Also approx. how long does it take HSBC to replace a lost card? If you wire money from the U.S. to Thailand, do you find their charges competitive?

Archived