Using Sky Train

Here I go again with another ignorant question. I keep reading about the Sky Train in BKK and how easy it is to use there. I recently bought a map of BKK and there wasn't anything on the map that showed the Sky Train and the stops.

My question is: Where does the Sky Train start and stop, as in street names and/or landmarks? Can I take the Train from Sukhumvit area to the Grand Palace area or do I have to take a taxi? Where are the place that you can go using the Sky Train? Looking at the map, it looks like a fairly good distance from Sukhumvit to the Grand Palace and the other "tourist" areas. It is far or is it deceiving on the map?

Thank for all of your help. This is the best place for information on Thailand especially for first timers. I have really learned alot and I am taking major note on all of this, to try a limit my mistakes when I get there, LOL. Thanks again for your help and for putting up with my ignorant question I have place on this board. There will many more of these before the time is done, LOL.

HDrider cool.gif" border="0

http://www.bts.co.th/map_eng.htm

and

http://www.2bangkok.com/2bangkok/Skytrain/index.shtml

Maps are availabe at skytrain stations for free. If you buy the "Lastest Map of Bangkok" (intended misspelling as that's what it says on the map) you will see the skytrain route superimposed. Yes you need a cab to get to the grand palace, Khao San Road, and Chinatown. But you don't if you want to go to the Sukhumvit area, Silom Area, JJ (Chatachuck sp?) market, or panthip (although it is a walk from the station).

<<burp>>

<<burp>>

quote:

Originally posted by gummigut:

[QBYes you need a cab to get to the grand palace[/QB]

As an alternate transportation mode to cabs to the Grand Palace (and a more interesting ride to me) I would suggest taking the BTS Silom line to the end point of Saphan Taksin Station. Then walk 100 meters to the Chao Phraya River boat terminal and catch a 15 minute ferry ride to the Chang Pier then about a 3 block walk to the Grand Palace. If traffic is bad, this might require less time than a cab or tuk-tuk. I think you can also get to Chinatown but the walk might be longer and you would have to check for a different boat terminal (River Pier maps are available in Bangkok).

Lots of interesting things to see along the River (ie Wat Arun) and it is a traffic-jam-free way to see things but you have to move quick to get on/off the boat.

BTW, the BTS info station agents speak pretty good English and usually will offer excellent advice on getting to points of interest. Good luck. smile.gif" border="0

FYI, the price you pay on the Skytrain (rot fai fa) depends on the distance of the ride. I advice you to buy an electronic ticket valid for two years for 30 baht, you then add riding value to the ticket from time to time (100, 200, or 300 baht, depending how often you think taking the system) Min/max price for a ride is 10/40 baht.

You stick your ticket in the gate machine entering and leaving stations. A screen will indicate how much baht is left on your card when you take it back.

Also use normal city maps and take buses (normal, Aircon or micro bus) you need to get used to their routing, otherwise fun and cheap.

Edited to add info.

[ October 14, 2001: Message edited by: thalenoi ]

[ October 14, 2001: Message edited by: thalenoi ]

I mainly use the Skytrain because it is quicker (in most cases) to where you're going than taking a taxi. Many times, when you're riding with another it is actually cheaper to take a taxi. But traffic kills you on time.

Question to Thalenoi:

Didn't know you could buy a two year pass. Is there any discount offered on the ride? If so, what is it? Seems like there wouldn't be any reason to buy one if there was not discount, but then again TIT.

Originally posted by thalenoi:

"FYI, the price you pay on the Skytrain (rot fai fa)..."

Actually, it's 'rot-fai-fa loy', literally, 'the floating electric train'.

HDrider,

I concur with Gene. If you are staying in the Sukhumvit area and want to see the Grand Palace/Temple of the Emerald Buddha, take the skytrain and Ferry Boat route that he suggested. It may very well be a faster way, but more importantly, it is a lot more interesting than taking a cab. If you are on a tight budget, it is cheaper too. You can indeed get to Chinatown this way as well, if you don't mind walking a bit.

JG

quote:

Originally posted by Lamock Chokaprret:

Didn't know you could buy a two year pass. Is there any discount offered on the ride? If so, what is it? Seems like there wouldn't be any reason to buy one if there was not discount, but then again TIT.

There is no discount on that type of ticket (although there are discount type tickets if you travel the same distance regularly)

The advantage is that you dont have to buy a predetermined ticket, gives you flexibility to go any distance (also saves you time looking to see what ticket to buy) and the main advantage is that you dont have to line up which saves you a lot of time especially at peak times

Archived