Bush withdraws 1 of 19 pardons he issued Tuesday

cavanami

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not ready to applaud Bush on this matter but he did do "the right thing" in this case, whether it was done for moral reasons or just because he didn't want to look like someone selling pardons for cash/favors. If Marc Rich isn't fresh in most american's minds, the Ill. governor still is. I want to see what he does on his last two days in office and if Scooter Libby gets a pardon.

US Constitution

Article 2.

Section 2

The President shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United

States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual

Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the

principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any subject

relating to the Duties of their respective Offices, and he shall have Power to

Grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in

Cases of Impeachment.

On another point' date=' I am stunned at some of you. Is Bush "damned if he does damned if he does not" with you? [/quote']

Please tell me you're not noticing this for the first time today.

Bush did the right thing. With respect to the rescinding of the pardon, the only thing you can get on him about is not vetting the person properly. That said, I suspect our friend Rogueyam would have had similar reasons to criticize Obama or any other Democrat if the same happened with one of them.

I would still like the process to be revised with a constitutional amendment. Some of the framers were skeptical of it because it was open to abuse. They saw pardons from the king bought and sold in England and feared the same could happen. Their fears came to fruition. The pardon is too broad in scope and as such too open to abuse.

I think the founding fathers wanted to give the president the same powers as a king at that time, even read somewhere that they thought about giving him the title "his (royal?) highness the president" before they decided it to be just "Mr President".

Archived