Bush withdraws 1 of 19 pardons he issued Tuesday

cavanami

Someone didn't pay enough :dunno:

http://www.mail.com/Article.aspx?articlepath=APNews\White-House\20081225\Bush-Pardon-Mistake.xml&cat=politics&subcat=whitehouse&pageid=1

President George W. Bush on Wednesday revoked a pardon he had granted only a day before -- a step unheard of in recent memory -- after learning in news reports of political contributions to Republicans by the man's father and other information.

Bush pardoned 19 people on Tuesday, including Isaac Robert Toussie of Brooklyn, N.Y., who had been convicted of making false statements to the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development and of mail fraud. On Wednesday, the White House issued an extraordinary statement saying the president was reversing his decision in Toussie's case.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

More incompetance.

But, honestly, I didn't know it was possible to be "unpardoned" once pardoned (unless this is another power that only Bush feels he should have)

But, if so, why didn't he "unpardon" Mark Rich, since the GOP have and continue to whine about it years later. Why didn't Carter or Clinton unpardon Nixon?

I wonder if a bunch of pardoned people just started holding their breath.

More incompetance.

But, honestly, I didn't know it was possible to be "unpardoned" once pardoned (unless this is another power that only Bush feels he should have)

But, if so, why didn't he "unpardon" Mark Rich, since the GOP have and continue to whine about it years later. Why didn't Carter or Clinton unpardon Nixon?

I wonder if a bunch of pardoned people just started holding their breath.

We had a conversation about that last night with a constitutional lawyer who is my cousin and here for Christmas. As far as he knows, the sitting president who issued the pardon CAN revoke it. He said he would have to look as, just as the news people say, it has never been actually done before.

In real life though, he doubts anyone will question a President changing his mind on his one pardon selection.

On another point, I am stunned at some of you. Is Bush "damned if he does damned if he does not" with you? I would think you would rejoice at the "hey we blew it, let me fix it" attitude of this pardon revocation.

My understanding is a presidential pardon has to be accepted officially by the person to be recognized by a court. Not sure if this guy had officialy accepted it which I would assume is done by signing it.

Presidential pardons only extend to violations of federal law. Violations of state laws are for governors only. Also, they can include commuting a sentence, revoking fines and for an accusation and any conviction that may occur for an act or acts (as in elder Bush's pardon of those involved in Iran/Contra).

I would like to see a constitutional amendment that would restrict these pardons or have them meet an approval of Congress. Its too open to abuse and has been in my opinion, most recently by Clinton (Marc Rich) and Bush41 (Iran/Contra).

Archived