How good are Thai drivers outside of Thailand?

dean

In my case, that would mean how long will it take to learn U.S. traffic laws, which can be different from traffic laws in Thailand. We've been in Kansas City now for over two months. We have a Honda Odyssey that works out well for the wife and 4 kids. I'm in no hurry for the wife to get her Kansas drisver's licence, as its winter here now and the roads can be a little slick. She does drive, for practice, the 3 blocks to the grocery store 3-4 times a week, with no problem. Last week, she wanted to drive the 5 blocks to her Thai friend's house. The weather was fine, so I gave her the keys. She gets back around 5:30 P.M. (3 hours later) and after 10 minutes, a policeman knocks at the door, asking my wife if she had been out driving the car, which was in the driveway. She told him "no" and he left and fortunately, never came back. It turns out that she had to cross a busy sstreet (at rush hour) which had a 4 way stop light, with green arrows for left hand turns. She had gotten the green arrow but didn't move until she also got a green light. Of course, the other cars behind her were honking their horns. There is usually a policeman sitting near the intersection and he must have seen it. Fortunately, it must have taken him a few minutes to follow and she got home safely. I wasn't looking forward to paying the costs of both a reckless driving ticket and driving without a licence. She will probably take the driver's test in late march or early April but in the meantime, I will point out as many driving variations (between U.S. and Thai rules of the road) to her as I can, while we are driving. Has anyone else have this problem?

Well my wife dose'nt drive in the states.

But she goes with me truckin.

There are times when trying to make turns,she says, why do you wait. Just go.

No can't do that.

She is picking up about the rules more every day.

We even have practiced with rental cars a little.

She gets mad when she sees drivers that don't use their turn signals.

She also some times gets mad at the pilot cars with us on some loads with their driving.

Kinda funny at times.

But she does have a level head on her shoulders about things,

Good luck Dean.

Oh, if you happen to see a big red truck pulling a big long black multi axle trailer. with Thai. plates honk.It us.

I taught my wife to drive here in CA and it was a "relationship building experience" to say the least.... :boxing:

And then we went through it all over again when it was time to learn to shift a manual transmission... :cussing:

It was worth all the arguing & tears though, as she is now a very safe and cautious driver. But that is her nature in everything that she does. Sounds like your wife may share some of those same characteristics Dean, since she sat at that green arrow instead of driving through. I imagine there was a healthy amount of honking and swearing coming from the drivers behind her so she may also share a healthy Thai stubborn streak with my wife as well.... :banghead:

I'd spend more time with her behind the wheel since she already seems to have conquered the basic mechanics of driving. Sounds like she could use more experience with the rules of the road here in the states. Once she's up to speed on the laws (and the roads clear) she will have logged enough time behind the wheel with your guidance to pass the test.

My wife passed the written test on the first try which is amazing because she can't read or write English.

As for the road test, it took her 3 times. She couldn't understand why she flunked one tie because she was going 30 MPH in a 25 MPH zone. She informed me recently that she used to do drag racing, for money, on the streets starting when she was 16. Of fuck!

Australian Drivers.

BACKPACKERS who used a cardboard number plate, a man who claimed he was "slip-streaming" to save fuel and another who did a burnout in front of a police camera have been nominated as the worst drivers of 2008 by Queensland Police.

On December 19, traffic police on the Bruce Highway at Inkerman, north Queensland, intercepted a vehicle driven by backpackers, sporting a cardboard registration plate.

It read: "LICENCE".

The tourists were fined.

Less amusing was a May 2 incident on the Warrego Highway near Gatton, west of Brisbane.

A police officer on radar duty saw two cars pass at just above the 100km/h speed limit, with the rear car sitting just three to four metres behind the front car, maintaining that distance at that speed.

The officer stopped the 31-year-old male driver of the rear car and asked why he was so close to the vehicle in front.

The man told the officer he was "slip-streaming" to save gas.

He had trouble getting out of the vehicle and a random breath test returned a reading of 0.260. He was charged with drink driving.

In another drink-driving incident on March 17, a 25-year-old man did a burnout in front of a police speed camera at Yamanto, west of Brisbane.

He was charged with dangerous driving and drink driving after he returned a blood alcohol reading of 0.078.

Among the highest alcohol readings in 2008 came from a 37-year-old woman charged with driving almost eight times over the legal limit on June 22. Police narrowly avoided hitting the woman's vehicle, which was in the middle of a road at Tara, west of Brisbane, with no lights on.

The woman, who had to be assisted from the driver's seat and was unable to stand without help, recorded a 0.379 blood alcohol reading.

Archived