opertunities in los

It appears in my knowledge that the best opportunities are in exporting to the United States/Europe. I know some people who make a fortune exporting fake goods (t shirts, handbags etc.). The best way is to take back enough to finance the cost of your trip. You will see how cheap stuff is when you come here. I would never try the other way around.

Mike In Seattle

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it seems to me - that there is a way- but it's not so much a way of making money (although I think we would) but of saving money:

the starting point- persons of sufficient private wealth they don't need to work, they don't need to make money- let's set the entry level at say $300,000 each- sufficient to live off interest- a "Commune" of perhaps 5 guys, sharing accomodation, sharing girls- saving real money there- living and looking out for opportunities, and only investing when each is absolutely certain of the trust of each other, and of the investment opportunity-

i am sure this way is a possibility.

jOa

quote:

Originally posted by Hinch66:

Farangaman, what you said is so typical of a long term expats arrogant attitude towards new arrivals.Basically pathetic. It is also typical of someone who probably has a university degree and a good job but will never get much further in life.

I lived in Hong Kong for five years and met people like you all the time who thought they were in some way superior because they had been there a while.Funny that many of these individuals had ventured little outside the expat community during their stay.

How can you possibly know what abilities this guy has from his post? You cant! And that is why you are just a wage slave and will probably never be any more.

Thailand is full of opportunity, just because you are blind to it doesnt mean he will be. Obsticles exist everywhere to anything worth achieving. It all depends on how badly you want it.

For God sake please dont give us any more of that patronizing 'Ive been here longer than you' expat shit. If you knew anything about running a business you would be doing just that instead of working in one.

I have a friend who went to the Philipines and started a business growing and selling orchids. I have another one who went to Russia and despite many a close shave with the mafia, threats on his life etc has established a successful business dealing grain.

As the great bard himself said.' OUR DOUBTS ARE TRAITORS,AND MAKE US LOSE THE GOOD WE OFT MIGHT WIN BY FEARING TO ATTEMPT'

Too many smart arse English teachers on this site too. And we all know what they say about teachers dont we? 'Those that cant do, teach'.

i think that kind of insulting response was totally uncalled for. been here longer does in many cases also means has more experience in doing business here. you asked about the guys qualifications in doing business. in my opinion, if he would have any, he would not need to ask in a board mainly concerned with nightlife related issues. there are much more appropiate ways to find out.

yeah, so many opportunities in thailand, right, and as many opportunities of taking the rough ride home.

my arrogant guess - out of 100 giving it a try doing business here one can make it in the end. the odds are against you.

so, insult me, please, tell me what an arrogant patronising blind pathetic expat i am. please make my day, i am bored.

Originally posted by CondomKing:

[QB]Although I wouldn't be as harsh on Whoops as Farangman, in essence I agree, starting a business anywhere isn't easy, but here, it REALLY AIN'T EASY

Hi CK,

I'm aware it's not easy but it's not impossible either. What's a bit worrying is that it seems to become more difficult every year. I came across an article in the Phuket-something about crack-downs on law-firms assisting in establishing companies, checking on whether the "associates" actually had a vested interest (all this in relation to securing a majority share in your own company).

Any thoughts on this ?

It still leaves me totally mistyfied by the way why it is Thai authorities make it so incredibly difficult for farang to invest a couple of million Baht in what-ever-they-fancy. 90 % of all new jobs are created by small business entrepeneurs, in any part of the world.

Kind regards

I know some people who make a fortune exporting fake goods (t shirts, handbags etc.). The best way is to take back enough to finance the cost of your trip. You will see how cheap stuff is when you come here. I would never try the other way around.

Hi Mike,

I'm inclined to disagree a little and I hope you don't mind. I'm more familiar with Phils to be honoust as in terms of local demand but exporting from Thailand has been explored a zillion times and you really want to be the contrarion on this. You want to import. I find it impossible to believe you know farang who got rich on exporting from Thailand.

Take care

I have seen and heard of many people coming here with a dream of starting a business only to lose the lot and more on top of that.

If my post has challenged the poster's thought process, then maybe my aim was achieved.

Cheers

Farangman[/QB]

Hi F!

I'm with you but on the other hand it may be perfect environment to experiment. I've never met a single soul in Thailand who made it first time around and sure enough the country will eat alive the innocent of heart. But that's learning is it not ?

Take care

Appologies for any offence, as despite the harsh tone of my earlier post non was intended.

Problem is there is so much negativity around. Of course these things are not easy, I think that goes without saying. The fact is though they never were. In the past men had a little more courage and didnt expect to live forever.

Heres a couple of quotes by Cecil Rhodes to inspire any one who is feeling game.

' Ah yes!' Rhodes used to say in later years, whenever he was told that something was impossible. 'They told me I couldnt grow cotton'.

'Dont be low spirited, all I can say is I envy you. I was never so happy as when up to my neck in bills and pump breaking down'.

As with all things, if you want it badly enough you will get it, or at least die trying.

Are there any real men left? Not too many I think if we are honest.

quote:

Originally posted by Hinch66:

Appologies for any offence, as despite the harsh tone of my earlier post non was intended.

Problem is there is so much negativity around. Of course these things are not easy, I think that goes without saying. The fact is though they never were. In the past men had a little more courage and didnt expect to live forever.

Heres a couple of quotes by Cecil Rhodes to inspire any one who is feeling game.

' Ah yes!' Rhodes used to say in later years, whenever he was told that something was impossible. 'They told me I couldnt grow cotton'.

'Dont be low spirited, all I can say is I envy you. I was never so happy as when up to my neck in bills and pump breaking down'.

As with all things, if you want it badly enough you will get it, or at least die trying.

Are there any real men left? Not too many I think if we are honest.

I'm cool with that, no problems from me.

I wanted it badly enough, so i am succeeding, failures make me only more determined. And hell, who wants to live forever? Life without taking risks occasionally is not worth living, but one has to be clear about the risks, get to know the odds. That takes experience and some hard lessons. Most people are not willing to learn these lessons.

And many of them come to Thailand, expecting an easier ride than in the other Asian countries, and wonder why they failed, blame it then on others, become bitter.

Seriously, when I look for opportunities, I don't ask about them, I have a look first, then I know which questions to ask. I look at the risks involved, and ask myself: "Am I willing to take that risk and whatever is involved?" Than I decide if I go forward or chicken out.

Clickonline, you wrote:

"Hi CK,

I'm aware it's not easy but it's not impossible either. What's a bit worrying is that it seems to become more difficult every year. I came across an article in the Phuket-something about crack-downs on law-firms assisting in establishing companies, checking on whether the "associates" actually had a vested interest (all this in relation to securing a majority share in your own company).

Any thoughts on this ?"

Yes, I do have some thoughts on investing in a business here in general. As a foreigner I am unfamiliar with the language, the culture, the laws, and most of the written and unwritten rules and regulations. Getting good information, even from people who you trust and who do sincerely want to help you is difficult because a lot gets lost in translation, or is too complicated to effectively explain. This is where you will begin, if you decide to invest in a business in Thailand.

IMHO, the best way to exectute any money making plan here is to know what you want to do and have an idea of exactly how you want to do it.

Do everything legally, even if it seems unnecessary or a gigantic pain in the ass.

Be cautious about taking anyone's advice because, your idea is probably better, your advisor could be recommending something illegal, there is a good chance that what you are trying to accomplish is being totally misunderstood, while you are building for the future many people that you will meet will only be concerned with the present situation.

Be as honest and fair as you possibly can. It will be a lot harder for people to screw with you and and a lot easier for you to yell "foul" when you think you're being treated unfairly.

Some of the rules apply to business here and I guess some apply to business anywhere. I wouldn't think of starting a business here or anywhere else unless it was something that no one else was doing at the time. To follow the crowd is a sure way to lose your investment. Of, course, that's just my opinion, and BTW, I have yet to see dollar number one from my business venture. I do feel that I will be successful, because there is a demand for my product.

I could write more, but I've got to go to work now. Good luck.

Great Dane,

quote:

The price in Thailand for a scootcar with a removable roof, would be around 150K Bath.

Assuming you borrow the money at 8% and repay it over 5 years (I don't think the scootcar last much longer), the monthly amount would be 3K Bath

Just one difficulty in doing business here is getting access to funds, unless you have your own or a private source, banks here will be of no assistance, they are awash with liquidity but scared shitless of lending, so one can secure funds only with bricks and mortar security.

Archived