opertunities in los

I have booked my flight and will be in LOS for 16 nights from the 22 July as this will be my first visit I will be spending my nights shagging and my days looking for business investment opertunities. So if anyone has any good information regarding the business scene please fell free to post.

39 days and counting. laugh.gif" border="0

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would say that about 20.000 girls are doing the business in Pattaya. Depends on the season off course. From NOV to FEB could be more of course.

The best way for an inexperienced westerner to make a small fortune here in Bangkok is to start off with a big fortune.

When enough of it is gone to qualify as a small fortune - go home.

If you are serious, here would be my personal advice:

There is presently only one bridge in Thailand across the Mehkong River - connecting Nong Kai with Vietienne. There is now a signed project agreement to put a second bridge across the river, connecting Mukhadan with Savannakhett (I think projected completion is 2003).

If this second bridge happens, investment in infrastructure along what will become a significant trade route (from Burma, through Chiang Mai, Nong Kai, Mukdahan, and on to Danang) will probably pay off.

Service stations, warehouses, restaurants, brothels, hotels, etc.

But - good luck outfoxing the locals.

Cheers!

Bangkok Butterfly

quote:

Originally posted by farangman:

This is your first visit here to Thailand and you are looking at business opportunities!!!

Wise up and get your head out of the clouds -you know nothing about the place, the people or anything - you do not stand a chance.

Cheers

Farangman

Although I wouldn't be as harsh on Whoops as Farangman, in essence I agree, starting a business anywhere isn't easy, but here, it REALLY AIN'T EASY. For so many reasons, starting with the language and cultural barriers, right through to the local economy, corruption, prejudice to foreigners, etc. The list really does go on and on.

Whoops - I will, humbly, give you one tip of advice going in. Don't expect to make money from the Thai population, at least not until you really know what you're doing. For a start you might want to concentrate your efforts on suppling either goods or sevices to the tourist or expat community. Also, there are lots of small businessmen, refering to foreigners of course, doing various import/export niches. Gifts, jewelry, basic product components, etc. Some guys are good at this and some aren't. I happen to be in the latter category, oh, well.

As far as "Do not stand a chance"? Well, who knows, strange things do happen from time to time. Maybe you are really clever or very lucky or both.

I would be more concerned with whether or not you like it enough in Thailand to actually live here for as much time a year as it would take to run a sucessful business. You might find that you really just like it enough to make two or three short visits a year and make your money elsewhere.

Whatever you do, I admire your enthusiasm and optimistic attitude. You already possess the most important ingredients, IMHO, for success competing in a tough environment.

Good luck and please keep us posted. Guido.

Why do you want to invest in a country that we have now learned that the 80's and 90's business environment was really just a house of cards? I think many people get it into their heads as a reason to justify their sanuking activities. Damn our Judeo-Christian belief system. Get over the guilt of feeling unproductive or enjoying youself. Forget about bussiness until you have spent time here and learn the ropes. For now, concentrate on sanuking as you will learn fast enough as the girls will teach you a few things about how they do "business". First things first!

Don't wanna bitch or nothin' ..but, who are you FARANGMAN??? Give the guy the benefit of the doubt. Learning takes place in many forms. What's the matter? you got the short end of the stick somewhere? Explain in detail if you wish.

later

dan

Let's put it this way. FARANGMAN lives in Bangkok. He has a nice job with a nice salary. And he knows that anyone coming into to Thailand for the first time has no business investing in anything. After the fellow has been here a few times and got a feel for the country, then he may decide to invest his hard earned cash in something. There are plenty of people who have made money in Thailand. But they did it through hard work ... and usually a fair amount of luck. For one thing, the laws on business here are not all that foreigner-friendly. This means you have to have a Thai partner; indeed, you may have to put everything in the partner's name. And more than a few times, the Thai partner has turned out to be an SOB who simply took everything for himself. Since it was all in his name, the foreigner has nothing he can legally do to get it back.

I find that when I'm in the LOS I usually invest in some beer chang, a few metric tons of various "gup khaos," and occasionally the odd bar fine when the little woman is otherwise occupied.

Actually some of the best advice I received when I came to live in Thailand was don't open up a business. Work yes. Own a business, no way.

I saw far too many broken down foreigners, living on the edges of society, who had lost all of their investments to businesses gone sour.

One dive shop owner, from Canada, went to the trouble of finding 10 Thais, none of whom knew each other, as business partners. Each partner had a 6% share of the business to make it legal (at the time). He owned a dive shop in Phuket, but most of his "partners" were from other provinces.

The fastest way to lose your money is to invest it in a bar that your new sweetie will run for you. One day you show up and some Thai guy is running the show and you are on the outside looking in, wondering what happened. What happened is that her Thai boyfriend, who was in on the scam from the beginning, has decided you have gotten the bar off to a good enough start. "Time you leave Thailand. Maybe not so good for you if you stay."

Some guys do make it, but you'll find they're the ones who had been in Thailand long enough to know the score. Not some guy on holiday loaded up with testosterone, with pipe dreams of retiring in paradise.

Archived