Question for all the old hands

shamus

hi Guys,

Just a question, have the opportunity to take a job managing a western chain style pub here in TL, they want me to suggest a salary, dont know how much to suggest!

Any ideas out there on what the going rate is for this. l have worked here in BK at 2 jobs, one paying very well indeed the other not so much, dont quite know the score with this one.

Your thoughts and knowledge on this would be appreciated!!!!!

Cheers

quote:

Originally posted by shamus:

hi Guys,

Just a question, have the opportunity to take a job managing a western chain style pub here in TL, they want me to suggest a salary, dont know how much to suggest!

Any ideas out there on what the going rate is for this. l have worked here in BK at 2 jobs, one paying very well indeed the other not so much, dont quite know the score with this one.

Your thoughts and knowledge on this would be appreciated!!!!!

Cheers

That's pretty intriguing. I'm working in an entirely different field of expertise but in case I would be offered something like that I would simply rely on rules-of-thumb applicable to corporate expats. That would be, for a location like Thailand, 130 % of what you make back home in a similar job plus emoluments like free housing etc.

You *don't* want to suggest a figure which will allow you to live comfy IMO. You want to aim high and perhaps settle on 50 % of what it is you asked for.

I've seen total jackass good-for-nothing IT (not my field of expertise either) folk somehow fetching 4-5000 US$ net in BKK.

Something like Monsterboard may also be able to provide some guidance.

My advice would be to simply aim high. You will not be taken very serious if you don't. This is not the time to wonder whether you are worth all that money.

In the end, all those emoluments may be worth more than your base salary. In your situation, knowing next to nothing, I think I would try and consult some lawyers too. Consults are free.

Take good care and keep us posted

Khun Sanuk,

You are quite correct in what you say, my reason for this question is, l have been surprised with the variance is salarys here.

l would believe places like the Londoner, Bulls Head and Shenanigans would have a reasonable salary for a westerner and fair on themselves, since these owners have been here along time and know the score.

But others l hear, don't want to pay well and others are over the top, l just thought someone might know what the likes of the above mentioned places would be paying.

thanks for your input.

TL the place where the girls roam and the buffaloes sunbake!!!!!!

There are two types of expats, local hires and international. Local hires get about same salary as internationals, but do not get the expat package, such as housing.

At least in my company, Brits and Aussie base salaries tend to be about 30% less then Americans.

quote:

Originally posted by THAIHOME:

There are two types of expats, local hires and international. Local hires get about same salary as internationals, but do not get the expat package, such as housing.

At least in my company, Brits and Aussie base salaries tend to be about 30% less then Americans.

...would actually say three..

1. Full expat deal (international company, hired overseas)

2. "Semi-Local" (international company, hired locally)

3. Local (local company, local hire).

I consider myself an expat, but can assure you do not get an expat package minus housing etc...

-j-

They ask you to suggest a salary for them to pay you?

This sounds kind of like the old (old, old) Bill Cosby monologues about his childhood, where he reminisces about his mother being angry, and sending him out to find something for her to beat him with (Here mom, here's a feather. Go ahead, flail away!).

Go ahead and suggest that they pay you 300,000 baht per month. Then settle for whatever pittance they are actually willing to pay.

One thing to watch out for - getting something set up and running from scratch (hiring a staff, setting up vendor accounts, setting up bookkeeping) is a tough assignment. Keeping something running once it is really established and running is a maintenance job.

Beware being hired at a medium salary to do the tough work (assuming that it will all even out in the long run, once things get running smoothly), and then being replaced by a Thai at a quarter your salary, once everything does in fact settle down.

Thailand is a dog-eat-dog place.

Cheers!

Bangkok Butterfly

Good advice, thanks guys!!!

This sounds kind of like the old (old, old) Bill Cosby monologues about his childhood, where he reminisces about his mother being angry, and sending him out to find something for her to beat him with (Here mom, here's a feather. Go ahead, flail away!).

Go ahead and suggest that they pay you 300,000 baht per month. Then settle for whatever pittance they are actually willing to pay.

This is so true, seems strange that they ask me, but l have had this happen to me before, anyway the place is farlung owned, has staff that have been settled for a while, seems to be running ok already, so will see what happens,

cheers to all!!!!!!

Archived