Australian author sentenced to three years in jail on lese majesty charge

Mentors

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Independent Senator Nick Xenophon has called on the Federal Government to do everything it can to bring an Australian man jailed in Thailand back home.

Melbourne writer Harry Nicolaides, 41, has been jailed for three years in Bangkok over a passage he wrote in a 2005 novel about the Thai Crown Prince.

Senator Xenophon says the Government should put pressure on Thailand to allow him to return to Australia.

His Australian lawyer, Mark Dean SC, says the imprisonment has taken a heavy toll on his physical and mental health.

Acting Victorian Premier Rob Hulls says he has enquired about whether he can assist Nicolaides.

His legal team will apply for a royal pardon this week but he has already served five months in jail.

Mr Hulls says he is trying to find out if the Victorian Government can help.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/01/20/2470166.htm?section=entertainment

Good idea IMO not to appeal the sentence, as he only got the mandatory minumum.. 3 years - maximun is 15 years. Mayy get a pardon.

What puzzles me is the fact that I know how taboo criticizing the Royal Family is and I am not living there. I've made a few trips to LOS over the years, and it's one of the things I take as par for the course, you simply don't do it, but this guy lives there... surely he wasn't ignorant of the concequences.

A few months ago I read some parts of what was then his "project" on a now blocked Thai website.

My conclusion was:

. I obviously know more about Thailand history than him which says a lot about the guy

. I was expecting him to be jailed before the publication of the book started

. This guy was in conflict with several other foreigners

. This man looked like your typical expat claiming "I know everything about Thailand..."

There are at least two other board members who knew about this guy before me....

I am really happy he gets what he deserves

which, like other board members pointed:

. When a resident in a country do respect the law and customs of the said country or face some problems

. If you are in a country, no matter how bad it is, then this was your choice, if not happy then leave

. You know the law so don't play with it

All in all, one more dumbass (happens to be an Aussie this time) whom nobody will regret except his favorite BG

he did it because he's a cock.

Yep, a cock that will likely get the pardon, make money off the talk show circuit and the eventual book he will get published about his trial and ordeal in a Thai prison and his horrible experiences at the hands of the 'cruel misguided Thais'. It's a gamble that will most likely pay off for him in the near future with decent cash and notoriety. The saying 'Dumb like a fox' comes to mind here. Or is that crazy like a fox? I forget now.

Archived