Australian author sentenced to three years in jail on lese majesty charge

Mentors

CW & CTO, sure. And yes, bitching on message boards is passing along knowledge. The more bitching & publicity, the more scrutiny and then the more likelihood of a change.

If not...what do you suggest?

EDIT: really, for example, you are NOT going to go to bat for this guy publicly...it will kill you in this country and we both know it;

Cheers,

SD

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ridiculous law and stupid sentence - good to see the Thais at the Post a little more concerned about their countries actions than most farangs.

Yes, and that is who should be trying to change the law... the Thais. It's their law, their country, and as 'guests' here we need to keep that in mind if we don't want to end up in trouble and out of the country we have 'chosen' to live in. We can leave if we don't like it (as Dave chose to do for whatever his reasons - and he can spout off now about it as he lives far away and there will be no consequences for him to do so. Just saying is all. Not anything against Dave's opinions. I happen to agree... mostly. Easy to rah rah sis boom bah on the subject when it will do you no harm though.)

What I want to know is how a book that had only 20 copies printed and only a mere 10 'sold' even came to the attention of a Thai authority who would be able to read and comprehend what was written? I mean what the fuck did he do.... sell his 10 copies to Thai cops and government censors who thoroughly understand the written English language and all its nuances? It seems a bit far fetched this would even have come to their attention. And, as many native English speakers who have read it have said it is very hard to even decipher what the hell he was actually saying and who he was saying it about. I smell a rat. :shifty:

And it was not as though this guy was ignorant about the law, at least from what I can see so far from what has been posted/written and from the news. He played with a match and somehow, someway, started a bonfire and conflagration that is now global news. It makes no sense really this small little piece of text would come to the attention of anyone but 10 or so people, who are most likely all farangs who bought this book.

Just saying.

Ridiculous law and stupid sentence - good to see the Thais at the Post a little more concerned about their countries actions than most farangs.

What I want to know is how a book that had only 20 copies printed and only a mere 10 'sold' even came to the attention of a Thai authority who would be able to read and comprehend what was written? I mean what the fuck did he do....

I have a team looking into that very question. I believe Harry had quite a flare for self-promotion.

What I want to know is how a book that had only 20 copies printed and only a mere 10 'sold' even came to the attention of a Thai authority who would be able to read and comprehend what was written? I mean what the fuck did he do....

I have a team looking into that very question. I believe Harry had quite a flare for self-promotion.

Which was my intitial suspicion and stated so.

Cent - I stand by my statement as a father of Thai citizens it's my duty to make them the best citizens they can be. Of any country.

I don't see myself as a guest - was asked to go the perm res route but turned it down this year even though it was a virtual guarantee - cost too much!

Interesting people can say a lot about Middle East laws but think it's none of their business to make comments about Thai laws.

Regardless of which side you support - I welcome the ability to speak about what you want to discuss.

Interesting people can say a lot about Middle East laws but think it's none of their business to make comments about Thai laws.

Doesn't it have a lot to do with whether you're in the country or outside? And whether you want to get back in or not.

Interestingly my team of crack investigators has turned up an article Harry wrote in Saudi. He likes to live dangerously.

Archived