Error: Read-Only Directory..but it isn't

gawguy

I'm finding a few strange problems while setting up my "new" used computer.

I used PM 8.0 to add a 2nd partition to the drive, which now has C:\ D:\ E:\ (D:\ is the DVD drive) (E:\ is designated as My Documents.)

I also created two user accounts, both are administrators. "A" is the original administrator account and "B" (also Administrator) is the one I created via the control panel while logged on as "A"

I logged in as "B", installed PalmOne Desktop and under Options I chose E:\ as my data directory and got the error: 'E:' cannot be used to store your data because it is a read-only directory.

Where does it get that information?? I saved a notepad file to it just to test it. No problem.

I did the exact same thing on another computer that has a 3 partitions with no errors.

Help!

Thanks,

Gaw Guy

Hi,

you not just created a 'My Documents' folder on e:\ but rather changed the location of the 'My Documents' folder? Not bad. That way your documents won't get deleted when reinstalling the OS on C:\, it has advantages for backups. Good.

I guess you changed the folders location when logged in as user A and now can't save to it while logged in as user B.

Even if you changed the folder location for both users you can't use the same folder for both.

Only guessing of course.

Hi,

you not just created a 'My Documents' folder on e:\ but rather changed the location of the 'My Documents' folder? Not bad. That way your documents won't get deleted when reinstalling the OS on C:\, it has advantages for backups. Good.

Carlton...You and I go way, way back to when you...uhh..."facilitated" my use of Acronis True Image, which has been the core of computer operations ever since. I do exactly as you described above. First thing when setting up a computer is to make a second and third partition for data files. Then whenever I have I have a problem with C:\ I restore it from an image. Images may be stored on one of the partitions, but they are also ALWAYS backed up on an external hard drive out of harms way.

I'm always delighted to have your input. Thank you. You have been an enormous help many times.

Well thanks. I use partitioned drives myself, important data backed up on a second drive and the backups copied to an external drive. Guess I'm a bit anal about backups.

Any success with the My documents folder on D:\?

I think you have to set up a folder pr user to make it work. Like

d:\\My documents and

d:\\My documents

Archived