Need an inexpensive BKK apartment for the summer?

FreeTime

I have an apartment in the On Nut area which will be vacant for 6 months as of April 1st. The location is ideal; about 1 minute by mtcy taxi from On Nut skytrain, or an easy 7-10 minute walk. There is a Tesco Lotus right at On Nut BTS, and Carrefour about a 5 minutes walk on the other side of Sukhumvit. The apt is a standard studio unit, furnished, T.V. and fridge, usable balcony. The building is clean, has a swimming pool, card lock security. Soi Cowboy is just 10 minutes away by skytrain. If I can find a trustworthy and responsible person it could be made available, otherwise, I just leave the place empty for six months. The rent is 5000 baht per month, plus water and electricity. Rent for the six months is required in advance. You pay water & electricity by the 1st of every month. Send me a PT if interested.

I have an apartment in the On Nut area which will be vacant for 6 months as of April 1st. The location is ideal; about 1 minute by mtcy taxi from On Nut skytrain, or an easy 7-10 minute walk. There is a Tesco Lotus right at On Nut BTS, and Carrefour about a 5 minutes walk on the other side of Sukhumvit. The apt is a standard studio unit, furnished, T.V. and fridge, usable balcony. The building is clean, has a swimming pool, card lock security. Soi Cowboy is just 10 minutes away by skytrain. If I can find a trustworthy and responsible person it could be made available, otherwise, I just leave the place empty for six months. The rent is 5000 baht per month, plus water and electricity. :redflag:Rent for the six months is required in advance. :redflag: You pay water & electricity by the 1st of every month. Send me a PT if interested.

I'm sure loads of people are lining up to pay you 30,000 baht on April Fools Day.

Why would anyone be so stupid when 5000 baht apartments are ten a penny in On Nut and don't come with the six months in advance catch?

Not really that bad a deal if the pool is decent and the building is in good condition with good security and is close to the Skytrain. Yes, rooms in the Phra Khanong and On Nut area can be had for less but there can be a lot of hassles with them and most do not have pools.

One important issue is Baht/unit electricity cost.

B3/unit is baseline, some mark it up as high as B8 or B9. A unit that size running the air 50% of the time during hot season should be somewhere around B2000/month at B3/unit, so whatever the mark-up is can mean a significant difference.

The B30.000 up front isn't that big a deal. Even if you rent on your own, you would have to put up two months security (Which can be VERY hard to get back) as well as the first months rent, so about B15000 and you'll still be paying the rent every month.

The furnishings in most rentals are usually pretty shabby as well. If they are decent in this room then all the better.

You usually pay 2 months deposit but only start paying rent at the start of the following month so it would only be 10,000 upfront. I've never had a problem getting the deposit back. 6 months rent in advance is beyond the pale. What if he goes bankrupt after 2 months and the property is repossessed? That's 20,000 baht down the toilet. What if the property is in the name of his Thai "girlfriend" and she decides to invite herself and her "brother" in? Who pays for repairs if there's a flood from upstairs and the ceiling caves in? Too many potential problems. Better to rent from a reputable landlord.

There are other apartments in the On Nut area as you suggest, but as almost everyone seems to understand, it is location, location, location. During the last four winters I have looked at dozens of serviced apartments between Nana and On Nut, and to a lesser extent between Asoke and Suttisan. The unit described is in the best value apartment building I have come across so close to On Nut skytrain, T.L. and Carrefour. Most serviced apartments in this price range are a considerable distance from BTS. I don't seem to be alone in my opinion; vacancies are uncommon, and there is a wait list to get in the building. I had been on a wait list for well over a year before I was able to get a rental. That is why I have an interest in keeping the apartment over the summer; if I leave, I won't be able to get back in next October. There is no logic in keeping most serviced apartments over the summer otherwise of course. Every serviced apartment I have rented has required the security deposit AND 1st month rental upfront by the way. The rental is in my name. Technically, sub letting is not permitted in many serviced apartments. I would be paying the 6 months rent for the summer in advance to the landlord, hence my request

That is logical, and is a completely valid approach. Most serviced apartments require some purchases. Have bought a T.V. and other things setting the place up for possible long term. Also, I can start to leave some possessions here and not take back and forth to Canada. Re the sublet 'illegality'; that was/is a concern. Not being a lawyer, I thought that if I paid the 6 months in advance, I would be on the books as legally having paid the rent. I know of some nice 10,000 baht apartments around On Nut, but even these ones are further away from BTS. That scenario is still open to me though, as I have until the end of February to give 30 days notice. I would like to stay where I am, but still have options as you suggest.

Archived