How much does age difference really matter?

driftwood

In the US the term is "boy toy".

"boy toy" is the young man in question, a "cougar" is the term used to describe the woman. It is becoming a pretty popular term.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cougar

I also see wikipedia has the "half-your-age-plus-seven" rule and defines cougar as:

Cougar â?? an older woman, usually 35+, who sexually pursues men at least 10 years their junior.[12] The term has been used in (American) TV series, advertising and film. The 2007 film Cougar Club was dedicated to the subject.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's pretty universal in all cultures that the older both people in question are, the less a gap in ages matters. To take my own example, which is far less extreme than that of many (most?) farang males who frequent SEAsia, I'm 49. I won't even look at Thai women younger than 35. Still, 20 years ago, that same age gap--14 years--could have landed me in jail, haha. Of course, at age 29, I didn't have a taste for 15 year old girls!!

What does continually amaze me, though, is the farangs I meet in Thailand--whom in other respects seem normal and "respectable"--who are in their 40s or 50s and think nothing of fucking Thai girls who are 17, or even 15. Something weird there, in my opinion. And I'm talking more than just a few guys...

Whilst we like to fool ourselves that a large age gap does not matter, IMHO I think it does.

If you take the situation of a young girl with an older man, the perception in most cultures I would suggest is that:

The girl is just a Gold Digger. But the guy puts up with it because he gets to have a cute, young, good looking, whatever girl.

That the girl must have something wrong with her, and cannot get a man her own age. ie really dumb.

Take an extreme example. Hugh Heffner. He has 3+ live in girl friends, all Playboy Bunnies. If 'Heff', was a taxi driver and lived in a crummy apartment, would they still be withhim. I doubt it.

So in this case, as in many, the 'perception' of the relationship is probably right.

Take an extreme example. Hugh Heffner. He has 3+ live in girl friends, all Playboy Bunnies. If 'Heff', was a taxi driver and lived in a crummy apartment, would they still be withhim. I doubt it.

Comedian Joe Rogan on Hef:

Sorry the sound is out of synch. Tried to find a better one.

On a much local level.

It's interesting to hear what people say behind my back.

Obviously, I don't hear it - otherwise they would be speaking to me directly.

Some have asked me if I go to "Taiwan" for sex. Again, the geographically challenged ones.

As I stated in another post, I live in a small town. Only one other older gentleman would take jaunts to Thailand. He used to work in the oil fields of the Middle East. He's passed on now.

But the locals - when his name came up - stated that he was a pervert. Traveling to 'Taiwan' for young girls. His 'young' girls may have been 30 or 40 years of age - but that made no difference in locals perception.

Geographically (and culturally) challenged people are everywhere and probably constitute the majority of the western world's population...

The "best" things I heard about Thailand were:

. I was a pedo as it is well-known only pedo go to Thailand, when I said I was working as an expat I became a permanent pedo resident....

. Thailand = Colombia of Asia -> aa country full of drug dealers

A little story about people lacking intelligence/general knowledge

I recently met a Thai student here, we met at....starbucks then went out for dinner

While at Starbucks there was a group of Spanish who started gossiping about us...

They thought I was a Chinese pimp meeting a Chinese prostitute recently "imported"....(hence the reason they spoke freely as very few members of the big Chinese community here speak Spanish)

I suppose if I told this kind of people about the fact I am Belgian and the lady is Thai wouldn't change anything.

Back on topic:

From my limited experience among Thais -> I would say that more and more Thai ladies in the 25-30 age bracket become picky about age gap.

Of course if one is wealthy polite and 50 years old it will not matter...

Just IME

True but it doesn't mean that people who didn't travel out of their countryside are all a bunch of pricks....

Take my missus family for example: Farmers, never went further than BKK and still they are honest, hard working people.

(not money hungry, people who did all they could to have their children educated etc...)

Archived