Stories from the wars?

Lusty

I'm not sure where to post this so I've put it up here.

I know that there are a few posters on here that served in Vietnam.

Also I am well aware that many people that have seen action/lived through a war as a civilian/serviceman etc seldom wish to talk about it.

My Father :rip: never talked about when the ship he was on when he was in the Merchant Navy during WW2 got hit by a torpedo.

Likewise he seldom talked about his Brother who's ship was sunk by a U boat in the first weeks of the Battle of the Atlantic off the West coast of Ireland with all hands lost.

I only found out through my Aunt about when my Uncle's tank was hit by a shell from a German Tiger at Remmagen .He took a couple of bullets whilst escaping whilst his mates were cremated alive.

A good mate of mine seldom discusses his time in Bosnia,Ulster or in the Falklands.

I'm totally fascinated by this stuff even though I've never nor ever likely to have too serve in the Military.

So if anyone has any stories that they'd be prepared to retell,I'd be very interested to read them.

They wouldn't necessarily need to come from the battlefield.Any anecdotes about comrades who were great characters and who livened things up at base camp etc etc would be good.

Thanx in advance.

War Letters

Founded in 1998, the Legacy Project is a national, all-volunteer initiative that encourages Americans to seek out and preserve the personal correspondence of our nationâ??s veterans, active-duty troops, and their loved ones. No one can tell the stories of these men and women better than they can, and we believe that their sacrifices, humanity, and experiences are best recorded in their own wordsâ??the letters and e-mails they have written in times of war.

My "combat" experience is very limited compared to people like Flashermac.

If you are looking for military stories just ask to Flashermac, me or Julian 2...

Of course the problem is military history is so vast that we would ask you to be a bit specific.

About your uncle: Do you know when it happened and on which ship he was serving???

I could dig a bit the subject.

About your other uncle: I didn't know that there were schwere-Panzer-Abteilung equipped with tiger tanks during the battle for the Remagen bridgehead.

(although there was at least one unit equipped with Jagdtiger).

Which was your uncle's unit? Which type of tank?

I could dig this too if you wish so.

First time under fire - a sniper - was exciting. So was the first mortar attack. Both happened in my first week in the Central Highlands. After that, it became "oh, shit ... here we go again."

:hmmm:

Lemme think, what can I mention. Well, there was the night we got mortared hard at the firebase and we were immediately out manning the perimeter in case of a ground attack. It happened around midnight, I was tired and I promptly fell asleep. Early the next morning, the 1SG came by and saw me sleeping on the ground. It had rained during the night and I hadn't even woken up. I was actually sleeping in a puddle. Top asked me what I was doing there, since the alert had been called off at 2am and everyone told they could go back to their hootch. Nobody bothered to tell me.

:dunno:

As a kid I read Spike Milligans memoirs of his time during WW2. Naturally enriched with his unique brand of Milligan-ness they were in themselves a unique little archive from his time on the south coast of England through North Africa and Italy. Well worth the read if you can get hold of them.

Archived