How Many Watts Transformer do I Need?

gawguy

Is this technology? I'm not sure, but you guys are so darn smart!

I bought a Waterpik in USA and brought it to LOS. I have a 50 Watt transformer / converter and the machine label rates it at 35 Watts. However, it's perfomance is very weak. Put's out a weak stream. (Ever happen to you?) I have other ones that I've used in US 110 volt. Last time home mine blew out a filling.) Do I need to get a bigger watt converter? One problem is that the higher the watts, the bigger and heavier the converter.

Thanks,

Gaw Guy

Could be an issue with the 50 Hz (in LOS) and 60 Hz in the USA.

The lower frequency will cause the motor to run slower, maybe less pressure and flow.

If this is the case, ou would need a frequency inverter, which is $$$, even a small one is $300 USD?

Okay, this could be it. My USA telephone answering machine doesn't keep time at all, so I'm sure that would be a frequency problem.

Any other thoughts, guy? I can't fix this with more watts? (I'm afraid I didn't read the long article on Ohms that was referenced.

Thanks,

GG

Could be an issue with the 50 Hz (in LOS) and 60 Hz in the USA.

The lower frequency will cause the motor to run slower' date=' maybe less pressure and flow.

If this is the case, ou would need a frequency inverter, which is $$$, even a small one is $300 USD?[/quote']

Okay, this could be it. My USA telephone answering machine doesn't keep time at all, so I'm sure that would be a frequency problem.

Any other thoughts, guy? I can't fix this with more watts? (I'm afraid I didn't read the long article on Ohms that was referenced.

Thanks,

GG

The cycles will affect a clock (cuz it tells the time by counting said cycles). No efficient fix for this -- you need a clock that works on 50Hz.

The difference between a 50-60Hz cycle rate will not affect a motor's operation. Well, in theory it would have the opposite effect: lower frequencies provide the advantage of lower impedance losses, which are proportional to frequency.

As far as that article, you need just the first formula to properly size a transformer. Add 25% to your answer for a cushion. So nevermind the math, try a bigger xformer. I doubt it will work, but what choice do you have?

Cheers,

SD

Frequency directly affects motor speed of certain motors. Water Pik has a "shaded pole" (?) motor or a "universal motor"?

ohhh, idea....they sell the 12Vdc converters used in cars that will output 120 VAC...maybe can buy one of these in LOS? Get a 12Vdc battery charger, small 12Vdc battery (motorcycle battery, 300 baht?), use the converter and plug the Water Pik into the converter...a lot of hardware, but may/should work.

Calculating Motor Speed:

A squirrel cage induction motor is a constant speed device. It cannot operate for any length of time at speeds below those shown on the nameplate without danger of burning out.

To Calculate the speed of a induction motor, apply this formula:

Srpm = (120 x F) / P

Srpm = synchronous revolutions per minute.

120 = constant

F = supply frequency (in cycles/sec)

P = number of motor winding poles

Example: What is the synchronous of a motor having 4 poles connected to a 60 hz power supply?

Srpm = 120 x F

P

Srpm = 120 x 60

Srpm = 7200

Srpm = 1800 rpm

Archived