Need a Used Phone - Which One?

drlove

I thought we were past the days of clueless Americans coming onto forums and asking basic questions about mobiles and sim cards. DTAC pre-paid sims are as low as 49 baht. They have an English customer service line where you can change your plan to get the rates that suit you.

I think the OP needs to do a bit a googling about the basics of sim cards. I'm guessing he's in the 70+ age group?

I thought that was what Thai360 was for to help and advise fellow travelers and Mongers (apologies to anyone on the board who does'nt think their a Monger)

I thought we were past the days of clueless Americans coming onto forums and asking basic questions about mobiles and sim cards. DTAC pre-paid sims are as low as 49 baht. They have an English customer service line where you can change your plan to get the rates that suit you.

I think the OP needs to do a bit a googling about the basics of sim cards. I'm guessing he's in the 70+ age group?

I remember that in the first paragraph of my post I asked for "I would appreciate a little advice and patience." Patience, not a put down. You are wrong about me. I am a techhie, and not so old, not that age matters, and when you make such a comment it reflects on you and your prejudice and an ego that prompts you to interrupt other people in discussion. I doubt if I could have googled up the info readily, and no need to, there were plenty of friends here ready to assist. Except you who jumps in to say I should have not have asked. Why? Because you don't think so?

Perhaps you should write a list of all the things posters should not do or ask. People like me need behavioral guidance from people like you. You might also specify the age ceiling you are setting for posts asking questions on the tech forum. Nationality limitations or preferences?

Continuing on...

I bought a new Nokia at Tuk Com for 1,000 baht. That's fine. Of course the fellow sold me a SIM card. As I said I don't know anything about mobiles, and that's because I don't like telephones, however after years of resisting I decided I needed one.

So I bought the phone and the fellow sold me a SIM card for 300 baht. No one told me that SIM cards are associated with specific networks and since the fellow did not speak English he didn't tell me there were choices. A previous poster here recommended DTAC, so I went to 7/11 and bought a DTAC 200 baht card. Turns out the SIM is AISGSM. I wonder if the guy will exchange the SIM card? It was ripped out of a sheet. Or is AIS as good as DTAC? Basically I want to sometimes send text msgs and sometimes call USA.

Thanks for help and patience,

Dr. Love

I remember that in the first paragraph of my post I asked for "I would appreciate a little advice and patience." Patience' date=' not a put down. You are wrong about me. I am a techhie, and not so old, not that age matters, and when you make such a comment it reflects on you and your prejudice and an ego that prompts you to interrupt other people in discussion. I doubt if I could have googled up the info readily, and no need to, there were plenty of friends here ready to assist. Except you who jumps in to say I should have not have asked. Why? Because you don't think so?

Perhaps you should write a list of all the things posters should not do or ask. People like me need behavioral guidance from people like you. You might also specify the age ceiling you are setting for posts asking questions on the tech forum. Nationality limitations or preferences?

[/quote']

If you weren't so sensitive you'd have seen that in between the light-hearted put-downs I gave you some perfectly good advice that could have saved you wasting 500 baht on an expensive simcard and a top-up card that doesn't match.

There's nothing that posters shouldn't ask but if you ask inane questions you must expect a bit of rib-poking.

Continuing on...

I bought a new Nokia at Tuk Com for 1,000 baht. That's fine. Of course the fellow sold me a SIM card. As I said I don't know anything about mobiles, and that's because I don't like telephones, however after years of resisting I decided I needed one.

So I bought the phone and the fellow sold me a SIM card for 300 baht. No one told me that SIM cards are associated with specific networks and since the fellow did not speak English he didn't tell me there were choices. A previous poster here recommended DTAC, so I went to 7/11 and bought a DTAC 200 baht card. Turns out the SIM is AISGSM. :redflag: [color:red]I wonder if the guy will exchange the SIM card? It was ripped out of a sheet.[/color] :redflag: Or is AIS as good as DTAC? Basically I want to sometimes send text msgs and sometimes call USA.

Thanks for help and patience,

Dr. Love

This has got to be a wind-up.

na brits have more or less evolved past the inane - even on tech like mobiles - I guess they call them hand phones there actually while the yanks call them cell phones even though what they want to say is mobile phones :rolleyes:

Yes, these are the days for clueless Brits. :cover:

I've purchased two cell phones over the years in Thailand.

It's not easy the first time. One stall sells the phone, one the sim card, another the minutes - or some such deal or deals. Maybe it's consolidated now.

I looked at used phones. Nothing wrong with a used phone. My concern with a used phone was the battery. Is the battery any good. And even if they put a new battery in - is that battery a knock-off - or cheap battery.

So I buy new phones.

I had a nice Thai gal advise me as to what 'plan' to use and the sim card and so forth.

I think this is a tad complicated and I AM an amateur 'rocket scientist' !

Archived