Need a Used Phone - Which One?

drlove

Believe it or not there is someone who knows almost nothing about mobile phones and I would appreciate a little advice and patience. I really don't know much about this.

I'm in Pattaya and can go to Tuk Com. I don't need much in a phone, no camera or bells and whistles.

But I do need a LOUD ring.

Here's a naive question: When you buy a card at 7/11 does this put you onto a system that takes messages? I think I have called phones that allowed for messages. Are there different access cards for different systems?

I only need to use phone in Thailand, but I need to call USA sometimes.

Please recommend an inexpensive used phone that I can find easily.

Any Nokia will be good, but recommending one is nigh on impossible, as you'll need to have a play to see which one suits you...however, those unfamiliar with mobiles usually find Nokias an easy phone to start with as the operating system is fairly intuitive.

Pay as you go cards from 7-11 allow you to make calls and send/receive text messages. I'd recommend True, but any are ok.

When you say messages do you mean voicemail or SMS?

SMS is available with all SP's ni=ot sure about Voicemail on pre-paid.

2 weeks ago my niece and her husband who are doing their "SE Asian Trip" picked up a new samsung something or other for 1100 THB I negotiated so they got the SIM card and 50 THB Credit for free (what else are uncles for)

MBK has more choice / deals than Tuk Com in Pattaya, I would go as far to say that the IT center in Sri Racha had more choice than Pattaya.

Go to any BIG-C or TESCO/LOTUS. They all sell the basic but very dependable NOKIA 1200, B1000 or less.

Buy a 1/2 Call SIM for about B150, activate it, then dial *777 for a menu of available promotions. Listen to them all and decide which one works best for you. You might have to put in a B300 top-up to activate some of the promotions.

The start-up menu will lead you to set up message service.

new phones start as low as 2k or so - do you really want a 2nd hand?

sonyericsson rocks - also in user friendliness :up: can't go wrong with any!

I'd recommend SIM from dtac or d'happy, happy dprompt etc as they are known.

voicemail possible with prepaid & sms/text messages on by default.

talk later!

I have dropped my Nokia so many times with no problems , and if you need another charger they are cheap as are car chargers ,

AIS 1-2 call works fine but I think some of the others are cheaper,

One thing to think about is how long the sim will stay active for X amount of baht ,

If you want to keep the same phone number for your next trip you need to keep the sim active by feeding it money :)

If you do not care just buy a new sim each trip and transfer your saved numbers to the new sim (phone shop can do it for you)

its not a big deal really.....

Dave

Go to any BIG-C or TESCO/LOTUS. They all sell the basic but very dependable NOKIA 1200, B1000 or less.

Buy a 1/2 Call SIM for about B150, activate it, then dial *777 for a menu of available promotions. Listen to them all and decide which one works best for you. You might have to put in a B300 top-up to activate some of the promotions.

The start-up menu will lead you to set up message service.

Now I'm seeing very low international rates mentioned in another topic. How do I get the best rates on say a Nokia phone?

The rates will be dependent on Service Provider not the model of phone.

Not sure of the cost but the niece picked up a dtac pre-paid SIM and bought a couple of refill cards. She has been using the phone in Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia so far.

I thought we were past the days of clueless Americans coming onto forums and asking basic questions about mobiles and sim cards. DTAC pre-paid sims are as low as 49 baht. They have an English customer service line where you can change your plan to get the rates that suit you.

I think the OP needs to do a bit a googling about the basics of sim cards. I'm guessing he's in the 70+ age group?

Archived