DVI-I Problem

Mekong

Probably one for some of you web design guru's since its not a hardware problem.

Using a Samsung T220G Synchmasster urilising DVI-I input I have noticed on 2-3 websites (Stickman II being one of them) that every few seconds the monitor "looses" Digital Input and tries to look for Analog input before switching back to digital again for another few seconds.

Since its not a hardware problem (never have an issue with Thai360 for instance) I did some basic troubleshooting by using IE 7, Opera and Safari as opposed to my usual Firefox yet the problem still exists.

Any ideas?

Hi Carlton,

Radeon X1300 Series VDO Card with Latest ATI Driver, also latest Samsung T220 Driver.

Further troubleshooting has shown its not a web based problem but a system based problem still trying to ascertain if Hardware or Software. Whenever I test monitor using Dr Watson when testing "Black" is when the Cycle between Digital and Analog occurs, just so happens that site I first saw problem on has Black Background.

Time to put the thinking cap on!

Hi,

now that's where the guessing starts.

The x1300 video card is a bit older. Nothing wrong with that as long as it does the job. But no need to install the latest drivers. After all the new driver versions concentrate on the new video cards. There's no improvement for older cards.

You may try and get drivers version 8.6 from ATI, uninstall the current drivers (something like version 9.x?), restart and install version 8.6 instead.

I had a mainboard with AMD 690G Chipset (onboard GPU X1200 or X1250) and Windows XP installed. Catalyst drivers 8.6 or 8.7 were the last working, more recent ones resulted in blue screens during boot.

Mekong,

I hope you aren't offended when I point out that before you said you have the latest ATI drivers and now say you're running version 8.28.0.0, which must be from april 2007.

You may still try the Catalyst Driver 8.6 , (which is 8.501 in ATIs internal numbering), either including the catalyst control center or only the display driver. This will take a few minutes and won't hurt.

In your first post you said your problem is not an hardware issue, now you think it is.

Do you have another monitor so you may check if the problem occurs with a different monitor (possibly connected via DVI as you have now). Another otion is to connect your T220 via VGA cable to check if the problem still occurs.

Btw, I think the T220 does have DVI-D, not DVI-I, but it's not relevant for the problem you have.

DVI

Carlton

No offence taken at all, what I should have said was "Latest Driver" when running the basic Windows XP Driver update check.

Other monitor is only RGB input so I cannot troubleshoot the DVI problems on that one, but connecting T220 via analog VGA cable there is no problem.

You are correct it is DVI-D not DVI-I, my mistake, Digiatal only (D) Not Digital and analog (I). I will give it another coat of looking at tomorrow with the Driver you reccomended.

In my original post I "assummed" incorrectly it was a web based problem but further diagnostics have proven it to be a system based issue but wheteher H/W or S/W is what has me thinking now.

Looking at the Pinout of a Single Link DVI-D cable there is no pin / connector that could cause this problem to manifest when a large amount of "Black" being displayed and as such I tend to believe that Monitor and VDO card are both OK and it is a driver issue either for the VDO Card or the T220's own drivers. Applying logic we have had a few power dips in BKK the last few days due to wrather and my UPS does not have capacity to keep the PC powered up so there is a very good chance that it is a corrupt driver.

Thanks again for taking the time to feed me ideas / allow me to bounce my thought process off of yourself, when I have resolved the issue tomorrow I will let you know what I found.

Cheers

Mekong

Archived