State of emergency declared for Bangkok

waerth

Interesting explanation, wonder if the army has the same problems though...

Can a civil court in Thailand, when the soldiers act under a state of emergency act, judge them??

Same for the police, wonder if the "state of emergency" gives them more freedom of action...

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just came of the phone with a police friend of mine as I was getting pissed of with the police doing nothing. He is a very nice guy and he speaks perfect English and he is a Colonel.

He explained that it was very simple. Even if a government, any government would order them to go in, they wouldn't do it. Not because they like the protesters. But because of the law.

He said the last few times the police did anything towards any protesters the commanding officers found themselves in front of criminal court and were disgracefully dismissed from service. He said no sane police officer would have themselves disgraced anymore for following orders from any government being red, yellow, blue. As they would always betray them afterwards by letting the police officers take the fall for the failure of the government.

He said he is personally itching to put down the riots. Willing to be wounded in the process. But he isn't willing to be disgraced for doing his duty and following orders. He said that the majority of the police officers is feeling that way.

The problem is with the law according to him. There are laws protecting protesters rights. There are no laws that protect a police officer from acting against protesters even when under orders from the government. The police officers are by law responsible for any wounded from their actions. Even when ordered. and that is why they will not do anything.

W

Thanks for that information Waerth.

I don't know about anyone else but this has me absolutely gobsmacked.

What a fucking farce!

I am beginning to loose faith in the Thai people.

While Thailand has this desire to become a developed country they will send themselves back from developing to third world if they keep fucking up the economy with this ongoing bullshit.

Bangkok Post:

PAD looks to join mayhem

The People's Alliance for Democracy (PAD) has threatened to mobilise its supporters if the government's enforcement of the declared state of emergency cannot restore order in the country.

The PAD was not at all confident the government could deal with the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) protesters and defend the country's honour, PAD leader Somsak Kosaisuk said on Monday.

Even Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva's limousine was attacked by the protesters, and he barely managed to escape them. The PM's secretary-general Niphon Prompan was admitted to hospital after being attacked by the protesters.

Police and the military must be able to enforce the state of emergency, Somsak said. It was shameful that the authorities had allowed the Red Shirts to seize two armoured personnel carriers.

PAD also demanded the resignation of Deputy Prime Minister Suthep Thaugsuban, who is in charge of security affairs, because he has not effectively enforced the state of emergency and returned calm to the country.

From the NY Times:

<< Monday's clash began between 4 a.m. and 5 a.m., as troops in full combat gear advanced to disperse protesters who were occupying a major junction, according to witnesses.

The soldiers fired hundreds of rounds from their M-16 automatic rifles, with Associated Press reporters saying most appeared to have been aimed over the heads of the protesters. The reporters saw protesters throw at least one gasoline bomb which exploded behind the army line and tear gas floated across the eerie dawn scene.

At the nearby Century Park Hotel, foreign tourists were seen rushing into taxis and heading for Bangkok's international airport.*

Dr. Chatri Charoenchivakul of the Erawan Emergency Coordination Center said at least 70 people were injured, most of them from tear gas, while two soldiers and two civilians suffered from gunshot wounds. >>

*Effing idiots, I'd have stayed to watch!

Archived