Tuk Tuk 1

Ckrisg

Whats the shortest journey you have taken by Tuk Tuk.

On my first ever trip to LOS not knowing where I was (and pissed with my first ever Barfine) I took a Tuk Tuk from Patpong Police Box to the Mandarin Hotel and at that time 1994 you could cut through from Suriwong to Rama 4 it took about 3 minutes and as newbie I paid 300 baht.

What's the worst tuk-tuk accident you've seen? I watched one fall over as it made a sharp turn in Phitsanulok. Everyone got up from their tables in the restaurant and helped right the tuk-tuk. Then the driver and passengers got back in and continued on they way. The cab of the tuk-tuk did lean at a peculiar angle after that though.

Still, the worst I've seen was at an intersection at about 1am in Bangkok. A tuk-tuk had toppled over and somehow managed to burst into flames. The driver and passenger had been taken to a nearby hospital because of their burns, and the tuk-tuk blazed away until it was reduced to a heap of metal. Lucky it happened at that hour, since no racing traffic ran over the occupants as they escaped from the flames.

I like the ones outside SC......doesn't matter where you want to go...always 200baht.

I remember on my first trip to LOS in 1994 saw a fatal crash somewhere near Banglampu. Ran into the back of a parked truck. Not sure if those dead were locals or tourists.

Years ago a couple of my friends took the shortest taxi ride. They wanted to go to a building and didn't know where it was. They got in a taxi and told the driver where to take them. He made u-turn and stopped. They paid the minimum fare to go to the other side of the street! :)

When I first came to Thailand, I wanted to go to a certain market but each time I thought I got there (according to the map I had), I could not find the market. I asked several tuk tuk drivers for help and none of them could help me. One driver said he would take me there. He took me for a ride that last about half and hour and cost me probably 300 baht. He delivered me to a spot almost where he first saw me. The market was inside. Dumb shit.

Hua Hin - notorious for charging 100 baht regardless of the length of the journey - but what can you do when you dont know where 'X' is. Turned out to be about a hundred metres from the point I got in the Tuk-Tuk : the guy had a grin from ear to ear, but its such a nice corner of Thailand that I wasnt too phased. Conversely, I basically press-ganged a Tuk-Tuk driver in CM into taking us back to our farflung resort for half the going price (OK, the Farang going price ..). He was one of about 20 just sitting around twiddling his thumbs, and I basically told him 'OK, we'll just ask *that* guy !'. Normally gets me nowhere, but it worked on him :)

Archived