Changing Baht

I'm leaving the country in a few days and would like to change some baht into AUD as I leave. How much could I expect to change going around the airport money changers? I've changed small amounts to USD when heading to other Asian countries before and got quite a good rate but would like to change about 50,000B if possible.

Any rate I get in Australia is going to be real garbage.

There's going to be minimal if any difference between money changers in the airport so just go to the first one, change it and don't think about it.

For me I never change my baht back to my living currency because I know I can always use it on my next visit, but then I never have 50K left over.

Thanks MM, I think that's about as good advice as I'm going to get.

I checked bank rates in Aus last night and it seems they'll buy it off me at 29 to the $, which is not good considering the rate is about 26 at the moment.

If I can get better than that at the airport I'll take it.

What's the maximum amount of baht I can legally take out of the country anyone?

the best rates, both buying and selling baht can be found at the superich shops down one of the sois opp world trade, (or whatever its called these days) after big c heading in the direction of petchburi road. these shops are almost always packed mainly with thai,the spreads ie between buying and selling are very tight (less than 2 % ) way better than you will get at the airport or in a bank. this week i changed some sterling at a rate 1.2 baht better than any i had seen available anywhere else in bangkok,worth the trip if you want to change a reasonable amount. FYI there are 2 or 3 different shops all called superich and with different colour frontages worth checking the rates at all of them, i usualy find that the best rates are at what i think was the original superich which has a green frontage and is a bit scruffier than the other .btw one of the superich shops has started to open branches elsewhere in bkk eg on the skytrain be aware the rates they offer in these are not as good as the ones they offer in the original location.

J2, I have some Pacific Pesos. I'd split the difference and buy your B50k @ 27.5.

Cheers,

SD

Thanks SD, I don't plan to stay long in the City of the Angels when I leave, maybe four hours at the airport max if I get the flights I want. Leave it for now and I'll get back to you a little closer to departure time.

Yes, Superrich does offer a better rate.

Never knew about the place untill the last trip.

Brother in law took wife and I there last Dec. when we were there.

My wife was getting ready to put down payment on new car and off we went.

Going there I thought we are we going :question:

This is not looking like a good area.

Well got a damm good rate.

Will go there again when we need to change large money.

Archived