Problem: A "cold" from Air Con

drlove

What is the condition that we get / I have now. My nose is running and I'm coughing a little. It's not a full-blown cold. I know it's caused by going from this intense heat into air conditioned places.

What is it?

It's a problem because I'm scheduled for surgery in a few days and my nose is stuffed up. What do I tell the hospital it is that I have?

Colds are caused by viruses. So this is a sinus reaction to air conditioning. Why doesn't it go away?

What is the condition that we get / I have now. My nose is running and I'm coughing a little. It's not a full-blown cold. I know it's caused by going from this intense heat into air conditioned places.

What is it?

It's a problem because I'm scheduled for surgery in a few days and my nose is stuffed up. What do I tell the hospital it is that I have?

Colds are caused by viruses. So this is a sinus reaction to air conditioning. Why doesn't it go away?

Much like Liverpool FC you never walk alone. I get this problem every time I come to Thailand and so do many of my friends from around here. I believe that there is two different problems. One: If the filters in the AC aren't cleaned on a regular basis they will spew out viral material that your body is not accustomed to. Two: We all have various virus and bacteria inside us that our bodies can cope with. If something happens to lower our resistance to these they might break out.

There is nothing wrong with you, it's just reality, just get used used to it.

ALHOLK

double edge

>ac drys out your nasal passages

allowing irritants and virus/bact

better access to attack you.

>the ac is usually full of kee

i often leave a few glasses of water in a room with ac going overnight to keep some humidity.

When I lived upcountry, I had no A/C. Every time I came in Bangkok and stayed in a hotel, I'd get a cold from the A/C. I'd turn it down when I entered the room, but when I was out the maids would run it up to full blast again. Going from the steam bath heat we have now to the A/C can mess you up all right. :(

Ask the doc anyway. It's probably nothing.

Use fan instead of aircon, get your condo owners to clean out the aircon.

Cheers

I do use a fan if one is available but many hotels don't have one. At the place I stay in Pattaya I know that the A/C is cleaned on a regular basis but I still get sick every second trip.

ALHOLK

Archived