1am closing

hamsandwich

I was at a venue last week called 'Melon Mint' pretty far down On Nut. Seemed like a predominantly thai place. They also had an indoor pub that was closed and the reason I was given by staff was because of a fight in Ekamai causing the police to crack down on everywhere without proper pub/nightclub licenses. It made no sense to me at the time.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The pub fight of Chuwit's son has been big news in the Thai press. Nothing in the English press though.

His under aged son got into troubles with securities and a fight resulted. Allegedly Chuwit has been upset over this incident and told the police to strictly enforce the law.

Sounded pretty weird to me first but more and more locals telling this story and there has been no major police reshuffle. I just wonder that Chuwit has so much influence. After all he is just a rich pimp with a failed political career.

As far as I know he isn't even in a party at the moment. If I would be the interior minister I would be seriously pissed about Chuwit telling the police what to do. On the other hand they might be close friends of course which would explain all.....

Bad for nightlife and an already suffering industry. Many tourists aren't happy. TIT

Am told its about Chewit's son and him using a shooter in some fight. fuxin nuts huh?

"The boss of the police bosses tell all to close all bar" was told, "cos of Chewit's son in fight, he shooting"

So there ya have it gents!

Gonna be a long one am told. No news on an end.

Stoopid. Real stoopid.

So, the logic of this enforced closing, is some insignificant idiots son was involved in a fight/shooting and now the whole city has to close early....(it's not as if there aren't shootings amongst teenagers regularly in BKK or anything)

Ok.

Is it just me, or is this the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard?

Or is it an excuse to have a moral crusade, but without saying its a moral crusade.

Has this caused problems for the bars? Surely at a time when tourism is at its lowest ebb, this is a foolhardy thing to do. Bar owners and businesses associated, must be hurting?

I just think the whole thing is weird.

So, the logic of this enforced closing, is some insignificant idiots son was involved in a fight/shooting and now the whole city has to close early....(it's not as if there aren't shootings amongst teenagers regularly in BKK or anything)

Ok.

Is it just me, or is this the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard?

It is absolutely ridiculous.

But I heard the exact same story from two independant sources - independant in the sense that I am confident they didn't get their information from this board. One is a BG from Bacarra, and the other a BG from Mercure bar.

Ok, they're BGs, but for this sort of stuff, there not a bad source of information.

Having said, it still sounds absolutely ludicrous, even for Thailand. But this place continues to amaze me 15 years on.

Chuwit has been upset over this incident and told the police to strictly enforce the law.

Although this could very well be absolutely true, it is also absolutely ludicrous in so many ways. Chuwit, the guy who made his millions owning illegal soapie massage parlours and hired thugs to illegally destroy bars and other businesses on Soi (albeit, shanty town bars), is now giving orders to the police. It's crazy enough to be true.

Attention aspiring authors! There is material here for a good book. Not just this one incident - it's just one example of some tremendous absurdities here. There is enough material on this one website for at least several books. And you wouldn't have to touch on forbidden subjects, unless Chuwit's son is now off limits - and if that is the case, well more material for your book.

When I first posted about Chuwitâ??s brat being responsible for this crackdown I honestly didnâ??t believe this to be the real reason but thought it is a nice theory from a couple of girls but more and more sources confirm that this infamous incident is really behind all this stupidity.

I somehow wonder that the press did not report anything about the incident and the following early closing. After all the drunk Australian tourist who took a bar mat made the front-pages of Nation and Bangkokpost but a high profile pub fight with such significant consequences for the entertainment industry and already ailing tourism industry goes absolutely unnoticed?!

So far I even donâ??t know what exactly happened and whether Chuwit is behind the early closing or the police as another poster reported. Not that it matters but would be interesting to know some more details, if only to write Gadfly's book.

With the weekend approaching I would appreciate if some knowledgeable board members could give an update on the current situation concerning the after hour places. I am aware that Spice Soi 11 and tunnel are closed but rumors have that bossy, swing and lucky are some days open. So if some of your guys have been out last night let us knowâ?¦

Archived