Iran

Steve

The US has very little leverage. Under Bush' date=' US trade with Iran grew from less than 10M/year to 150M (is it so wrong to profit from the 'Axis of Evil?') but that's still peanuts compared to the EU....[/quote']

US$ 150 million of peanuts! That's a lot of peanuts! I wonder if any were any from Bill Clintons farm?

You can't even buy a single 747 for that much.

Increasing trade does offer a lot of leverage. If it gets big enough you get the other country's business community as a surrogate advocate for you. They don't want their country to do anything to stop the money train. Also, the business interests usually have a lot of power that extends to the highest levels of government.

I think in time Iran will become secular. They were for a while. The islamic revolution showed that at its core, man is corrupt. The religous segment there were just as greedy for power as secularists are.

Some of the 'experts' from think tanks have always said we over react when it comes to them which helps the hardliners retain power with a 'see I told you so?' to the people when they use the 'great Satan' as a reason they should be entrusted with the reigns of power.

Iran does fund anti Israeli groups but from what I understand they stay away from being too closely linked to any group that wants to harm the U.S. directly such as al queda groups responsible for 911. Maybe its not so and I'll welcome any posts with thoughts to the contrary but its my understanding. I'm certainly no mideast expert and learn more from these threads than I can contribute.

Archived