Iran

Steve

Surprised there isn't a thread (maybe there is & I missed it). Maybe most of us on here are 'Iran'ed out', if I can create my own word (maybe I'll get lucky and it will make into the Encyclopedia Brittanica).

Anyway, the election is in question by some. I've read conflicting stories.

I've read of possible widespread fraud. The 'opposition' lost his own province, which on the face of it seems very unlikely.

I've also read that the 'winner' was leading in the polls even in the opposition's province.

Frankly, I don't know what or whom to believe.

Obama has been told he hasn't done enough. Hasn't spoken out soon enough or been tough enough.

There are also, surprisingly, some on the right who said that he has to be a bit hands off so that it does not seem like we are initiating open revolt and violence.

I read an op ed piece recently saying that America has never really understood Iran since the islamic revolution of '79.

There are plenty of think tanks and academia, some of whom have Persians who have been to Iran and are intimately tied to the country who have 'inside' knowledge and thoughts.

It seems the government stance does not take this into account.

There was an opportunity to help the reformists several years ago and 'we' (specifically the Bush administration) squandered the chance and gave the hard liners power inconsequently.

There has been a very strong undercurrent of opposition to the islamic regime.

We have to understand that Iran under the Shah was one of the most secular countries. There are numerous Persians in America and they are ardently pro American and help foster reform in Iran.

The Iran-Iraq war of the '80s lost a generation of men and there is a large percentage of the population who are young...and idealistic.

Tough talk, some say, helps the hardliners. Some say its the only thing that will work.

Your view?

Obama is "damned if you do, damned if you don't" on this issue.

I feel very sad for the people who've risked and lost their lives. It looks like it will be a fruitless uprising.

I was surprised by the margin of victory as armaginadaaaaaaaaad is a loon. He also REALLY wants to cling to power and he's certainly not allowed any demonstrations to continue....and has sought to stop information flowing into Iran via the internet, expelling reporters and diplomats etc. Things which suggest to me something is afoot...

The US has very little leverage. Under Bush, US trade with Iran grew from less than 10M/year to 150M (is it so wrong to profit from the 'Axis of Evil?') but that's still peanuts compared to the EU.

Not that I think increasing trade with Iran was the wrong thing to do. I think Bush got that one right. The best way for us to promote change is to get them addicted to the junk we export.

The US has very little leverage. Under Bush, US trade with Iran grew from less than 10M/year to 150M (is it so wrong to profit from the 'Axis of Evil?') but that's still peanuts compared to the EU....

US$ 150 million of peanuts! That's a lot of peanuts! I wonder if any were any from Bill Clintons farm?

Archived