Warped logic

khunsanuk

I hear similiar things in the office all the time. And making it even more warped, I will hear it from Thai guys who brag about their nights out in those HUGE, ostentatious, well lit, neon soaked buildings along the major highways of Ratchada and Petchaburi.

I generally ignore it, but the few times I have challenged anyone on it, I am told its not at all the same because those places are clean, the girls are better looking and - believe it or not - Thai guys "really" don't go there for sex. Really.

Because I have to work with the guys who make these indisputably hypocritical claims, I don’t press the issue. If the conversation even gets this far, they are annoyed, I am not being a good “guest†(never mind that I have lived and paid taxes here since 1994) and nothing good will come out of it.

Instead, I gripe with my Farang friends or on the web on sites like this. Actually, we all gripe about this stuff frequently, and the story line is generally the same.

What is changing is that some (a minority) younger Thai women are starting to call Thai men on this stuff. This may not be a good thing in the long run (I am sure they don’t look kindly on Soi Cowboy or Nana either), but their sharp comments don’t wash off as quickly as my much more gentle observations about double standards. You are also starting to see some very awkward questions from a few Thai columnists on the op-ed pages of the Bangkok Post (raising questions about double standards that I think few Farangs would raise in public). It really bothers some of the guys I work with, and this often makes for tremendous entertainment – better than the best ping pong show I have ever seen.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure what you mean by cleaner? Medically? socially? presentation?

Birds of the same feather flock together..so whether nationalistic or xenophobia, they are driving forces in what we want to believe is good (can identify with or less bad) and what we want to believe in is foreign thus bad thus no representation/connection to it and thus to me..

Really a human nature response unless one learns critical thinking...

CB

Most of my Thai friends/aquaintances/colleagues, would love a night out in Nana, Cowboy, or Soi 33, in the company of a farang. They know it's off limits and they could even get turned away in some places, but they still talk about it. I never had the negative side as stated here in other posts. They do their stuff we do ours, its same same but different. No big deal. They seem to enjoy the interchange of thinking.

I took some Thai friends to Patpong years ago. They liked it, but said it was just too expensive for them.

I do remember the "cleanliness" argument though. Back in the mid 1980s, when Aids first appeared here, some of the larger massage parlours completely banned Farangs. Yet it was the Thai men who insisted on shagging w/o a condom. Go figure.

Now that you mention it, I recall one colleague - a woman with an MA from the States - burning her finger rather badly on an electric hotplate. I told her to run cold water over her finger. She looked at me and asked ... "Why?" Crap, she didn't even have enough sense to know that?

:(

Archived