Luang Prabang Pics (For Lazy Phil)

MooNoi

In another thread, LP said he would like to see some pics etc about Luang Prabang.

Here are some that I snapped when I took a tour group up there about three weeks ago. Hopefully it will give you some idea of what its like there.

Enjoy.

LP is on the banks of the mighty Mekong River. It's a lovely setting, and very peaceful and tranquil.

LuangPrabang15-vi.jpg

We stayed at a place called the Sala Prabang. Great location, and very clean and comfortable despite being rustic. "Rustic" is the norm in Luang Prabang, and it does suit the place - don't expect CNN and room service here!

LuangPrabang-vi.jpg

LuangPrabang2-vi.jpg

There are lot of cool and funky restaurants in Luang Prabang - Laotian food is lovely and very different, but western is available if your kids find the local fare a little too out there.

LuangPrabang6-vi.jpg

Luang Prabang is a great town to "potter around" in, and quite often you turn a corner and find an interesting photo opportunity.

LuangPrabang8-vi.jpg

LuangPrabang69-vi.jpg

A couple of day trips you can do will incorporate a ride on The Mekong River, a visit to The Pak Ou Caves, some local villages where they spin silk and brew rice whisky, and The Kuang Si Waterfalls. All of these can be done in two full days quite comfortably.

LuangPrabang31-vi.jpg

LuangPrabang37-vi.jpg

LuangPrabang40-vi.jpg

LuangPrabang38-vi.jpg

A lovely Beer Lao sitting at a restaurant on the banks of the Mekong is a lovely way to finish the day!

LuangPrabang47-vi.jpg

There's virtually no nightlife there at all. There is an excellent, and "low-hassle" night market that sets up in the evening about 5.00pm in the main street. (Market not yet set up in the below pic). There is also a ten-pin bowling alley, funnily enough, if you want something to keep the kids entertained at night.

LuangPrabang29-vi.jpg

Of course, it's worth getting up early to attend the alms-giving of the monks which occurs on a daily basis. If you tee up a good guide, he will take you somewhere where only locals are giving alms, no tourists, which is much better and feels more authentic. (In the main street, every backpacker, tourist and foreigner in town will be there and it spoils the atmosphere).

LuangPrabang57-vi.jpg

LuangPrabang60-vi.jpg

Anyway, I hope this helps you somewhat.

(Phil, I know you want to go to Khao Sok too in Southern Thailand - I'll try and dig up some pics and post something similar for you in the near future).

Moo.

It was a bit of a whirl-wind trip.

I have been about 3 times before and stayed three nights each time, but this particular trip was 2 nights, one full day, and an afternoon on arrival and a morning before departure.

I would recommend 3 nights if possible - more relaxed and lets you take the place in at a comfortable pace.

Yes, we flew in from Siem Reap in Cambodia and then departed for Hanoi.

The airport is really cute! (As was the flight attendant on Vietnam Airlines!!) :grinyes:

LPQHAN-vi.jpg

REPtoLPQ19-vi.jpg

REPtoLPQ10-vi.jpg

Guest lazyphil

thanks alot for that moonoi, it looks fantastic, i think we'll have at least 5 days here, maybe more. no cnn, no frills hotels?....perfect, not needed....yep, please post khao sok pictures and more of LP if you can. great to see recent personal pictures and accounts of places i want to visit :thumbup:

Guest lazyphil

does the hotel have a pool btw?...thats the only extra we, well my daughter would like i think....but not the end of the world if not..

does the hotel have a pool btw?...thats the only extra we, well my daughter would like i think....but not the end of the world if not..

No. Not many in LP do, LP (!)

They're mostly small-ish guest houses.

However, if you want a hotel with a pool, I recommend the Luang Muang Hotel. (Google it - you'll find it easily enough).

It is an older hotel, and a little bit "worn" but spotlessly clean. It has a pool. Location ok, but not as good as the place I stayed.

I would personally prefer an older hotel that was spotlessly clean, than a modern hotel that was dirty.

Will do Khao Sok pics when I can - hopefully in the next week ok?

Archived