Two Day Overstay Stamped in Passport

HSTEACH

My wife and I recently returned to the states from Bangkok and overstayed two days because I had a severe case of food poisoning. When going through passport control,I told the immigration guy I had overstayed two days. I was directed to the table behind the immigration desk, presented my passport, and told the lady I had overstayed two days because I had been sick. She told me in very stern terms I had violated the terms of my 30 day visa and then asked for 1000 Baht for the fine. Fine with me, then she stamped my passport OVERSTAY. Hell, is this normal? Will it affect future visits? Never heard of stamping a passport "overstay" with the amt. paid for the fine.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, it's normal and no it *shouldn't* affect future visits.

I've had a much longer overstay and just paid the fine have entered the country twice since then without issue. Also, have read and heard about others in the same situation who've never had problems when re-entering.

I'm curious though about the 1k baht. Was that total for the 2 of you or 1k each? Supposedly, the first day of an overstay is not charged and then it's 500B per after.

I have overstayed on a couple occasions due to delayed flights. I have both times received an overstay stamp in my passport. However I didn't have to pay the fine. I believe that they don't charge for one day.

I have never had a problem getting back in with the stamps in my passport.

ALHOLK

Archived