Laos

CTO

A few things I left off

The pain of paying the visa in US 4's and being screwed on the exchange rate (45Baht = $1) is a major hassle when crossing the bridge

Not being USAian and not having USA $'s I used to exchange Baht to US$'s at the mobile booth just before the Thai Passport control - both gone :(

HOWEVER arriving at Laos passport control there is a exchange booth - I got 36 to $1 - better than the booth offers.

The wait is as long as ever for visa on arrival - no sign on the prices for various nationals anymore.

Howerver the plus side is once you get the visa you no longer pass through passport control - it's been done for you!

The border is as porous as ever - wife and kids both kept walking back and forth with food and beer laos for me while I waited.

Remember to bring a pen and a passport photo of anyone - I used a friends photo - no questions asked.

Pens the local pen mafia will rent you :( however being a nerd I had a pocket of pens :)

The forms are hidden - the "Form Mafia" again try and charge you - go to window 2 - get for free :)

I do love Vientianne!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am back - how about Saturday - rumour has it another board member will be joining us ;)

I stay at the Day in - great old colonial building - walking distance to many places.

Weather was hot and sunny - given we left a flood area :(

Food and beer has gone up in price though - but still cheap

Found a new hotel on the river front I may try when not with the kids.

I stayed at the Day Inn it's lovely, they have a picture of a huge luxurious swimming pool in the brochure at the front, which you later discover doesn't exist.

cheers

Archived