Samui Air Crash

Mekong

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Incidents and accidents

- On December 7, 1987, a Bangkok Airways Hawker Siddeley HS-748-243 Srs. 2A (registration HS-THH), was damaged beyond repair after it overran the runway on landing at Udon Thani Airport(UTH) with no fatalities.

[color:red]- On November 21, 1990, a Bangkok Airways de Havilland Canada DHC-8-103 crashed on Koh Samui while attempting to land in heavy rain and high winds. All 38 people on board perished.[/color]

- On August 4, 2009, Bangkok Airways Flight 266, operated by an ATR-72 between Krabi and Koh Samui skidded off the runway, killing one of the pilots. The 68 passengers were known to be safe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangkok_Airways

Yes - 10 people dead. Plane into control tower. Yikes.

:rip:

Normally a VERY safe airline.

First bad crash - I think.

Just spoke to a friend on Samui and apparently it's pouring with rain down there.

You probably got the raining bit right, but only ONE dead and they crashed in similar fashion 19 years ago. A common theme in LOS, crashing in bad weather.

Bangkok Airways 21 Nov 1990 Koh Samui, Thailand de Havilland Canada DHC-8-103

Cross winds can be fatal, as in this case.

In my early days of flying, I was landing on a small island and was suddenly hit by a cross wind, my fellow senior pilot quickly took the controls and set us down, hard, very hard and I learned a valuable lesson that day. Get the plane down, do NOT do a "soft" landing but get it down and NOW!!!

I remember about 10 years ago I was on a BKK Air flight to Samui which tried its approach several times in heavy rain and high winds before aborting and being diverted to Phuket. (This was shortly after the fatal Thai Air crash at Surit Thani if I remember rightly?) Sat at Phuket airport for about 6 hours before taking off again for Samui. I think we where one of the 1st to land for some time and it was a bit hairy to say the least! My mate and I where trying to keep a British stiff upper lip but quite a few of the Italians on board where crying and screaming, it was a bit like the Dambusters without the ack ack!

When we got on the ground I think it was even scarier watching the planes after us trying to land?! They closed the airport again shortly after and if I remember correctly did'nt reopen it for a couple of days.

Simie.

Incidents and accidents

- On December 7, 1987, a Bangkok Airways Hawker Siddeley HS-748-243 Srs. 2A (registration HS-THH), was damaged beyond repair after it overran the runway on landing at Udon Thani Airport(UTH) with no fatalities.

[color:red]- On November 21, 1990, a Bangkok Airways de Havilland Canada DHC-8-103 crashed on Koh Samui while attempting to land in heavy rain and high winds. All 38 people on board perished.[/color]

- On August 4, 2009, Bangkok Airways Flight 266, operated by an ATR-72 between Krabi and Koh Samui skidded off the runway, killing one of the pilots. The 68 passengers were known to be safe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bangkok_Airways

there was one between 96 and 99 at Samui is well

cheers

Archived