"Miss Fair Skin"

On my first day in Bangkok, walking through Patpong one, a Thai man tugging endlessly on my sleeve trying to get me to go to some Club. The selling point for him was that the girls were the best because they had fair skin.

This just made me laugh to myself as I'd crossed the world looking for the opposite. I always thought it was more of an unspoken preference amonst many Thai men for fair skinned ladies.

But there she is on the front of todays Nation Newspaper the winner of "Miss Fair Skin". I wonder how something like that would go down in South Africa.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about those skin-whitening creams, also? There would be rioting in the streets in the U.S. if these companies introduced those there, and these ARE often American companies selling them here!

The Thai ideal of beauty entails white skin. That's why the Thais consider the Chinese so beautiful. The girls in the North are considered to be the most desirable by your average Thai male, the girls in the South the least. Isan? Forget it. We farangs tend to seek out the darker Isan lovelies, and this just provides yet one more source of mirth for the Thais: "Look at those stupid farangs! They go for those ugly Isan girls, AND lay out on the beach to get darker themselves!!! Barbarians!"

I'm with you though. I love the dark-skinned lasses.

"We farangs tend to seek out the darker Isan lovelies, and this just provides yet one more source of mirth for the Thais: "Look at those stupid farangs! They go for those ugly Isan"

I farang tend to agree with those thais.

Yes, Nopebut4u,

I'm also farang and I tend also to agree with the Thai male taste for girls. But then again maybe I'm living for too many years in Japan. And over here light and white color is prefered by most Japanese.

jp1

The saddest part of all this is the mental effect this attitude has on the girls. My poor Issan girlfriend is so obsessed with being white, she rubs her skin hard enough with a pumice stone while showering to cause scratches. I keep telling her to lay off but the cultural ingraining keeps her saying 'but I want to be white!'

Piss poor attitude on the part of the Thais if you ask me.

Archived