Laptop / Notebook 101

FreeTime

Just acquired my first basic notebook, a H.P. with 4GB RAM, 250GB HD, and Intel Pentium processor. I plan to bring it to Thailand for use in my apt. I don't think I will use the battery much, if at all, just wall current. Do I need a worldwide voltage kit to plug into Thai current, or is that more specifically required for battery charging? Might need a plug adaptor? Anything else I should be aware of using a laptop not acquired in Thailand? P.S. What is 3G & roaming package?

Laptops usually have the capability to use current from all over the world. Makes sense, no? There should be some documentation of this in the stuff you got with your computer, and on the box on the wire you plug in the power source and computer (the transformer?), noting 110-240 power is accepted.

Most laptops have an adapter that down-converts from 110v-240v to 12v used by the laptop. Just make sure your laptop adapter is so rated and you are good to go.

"3G" refers to the wireless internet connection speed. "EDGE" is standard, and pretty close to dial-up. "3G" is a bit faster, but not as fast as DSL.

I'm assuming you're hoping for free wifi ??

If you are - ask beforehand if its available in your room.

I'm presently staying in the Swiss Park Hotel Soi 11/1 and although I may pick up a signal in my room its not available to use unless I bring my laptop to the lobby. Thats a bit of a set back to me. Its far better to have it in your room..

Archived