Highly Unusual???

doris day

Just received a quote from a booking service sawasdee.com for a reasonably upscale serviced apartment. They want a deposit to be paid asap and then the full amount to be paid several weeks before I even arrive in Thailand. The booking service is run through the Pattaya Secrets website so it seems legit but I'm freaked out at the thought of paying upfront giving all the power to the hotel. As experience tells me, hotels in Thailand have a habit of losing bookins, putting you in different rooms to that you booked etc etc

Is this usual practice?

Having only read about this, never using a service, yes......it seems the norm is to pay the whole amount up front.

This, to me, is a scary prospect. If you shell out a bunch of money and obviously in life, things happen. If you were unable to make the trip, if your flight is delayed where you miss a day, if you don't get what you're promised....can you get a refund??? For me, I would rather pay as I go or pay after the stay.

I had this choice a couple of years ago large payment upfront before arriving in LOS. In the end I fly to LOS get a hotel for a couple of weeks and then found an apartment. Cost me more overall but I got to see the place and meet the owner etc. Every Apartment I saw needed cleaning, light bulbs fitting and most important got to test the air con.

I almost never book a room in advance. And I have traveled from Belgium to Bangkok. I just walk in. I always seem to get a good room.

Upon first arrival in BKK, I do book the first couple nights at the Nana Hotel and ask for a certain room/floor. But other than that, just walk across soi and there is another 5 hotels just begging for your money.

Now if it is New Years/Christmas - well maybe a reservation is appreciated. But other times, no.

And never money up front.

Any taxi driver will take you to a "good" hotel !!

Having only read about this, never using a service, yes......it seems the norm is to pay the whole amount up front.

This, to me, is a scary prospect. If you shell out a bunch of money and obviously in life, things happen. If you were unable to make the trip, if your flight is delayed where you miss a day, if you don't get what you're promised....can you get a refund??? For me, I would rather pay as I go or pay after the stay.

This is what travel insurance is for! :tophat:

Don't tell me you guys don't take travel insurance when you go to LOS... or anywhere for that matter! :doah:

Silly sausages! :nono:

Archived