Highly Unusual???

doris day

Up to you, if you get travel insurance and it works for you, then it's a good deal......I see no point in travel insurance for my purposes. As I said before, when I stay in a hotel, I prefer to pay at the end of the stay or day by day. I will not book with an internet service for many reasons. Book direct and you'll have less hassles in the long run.

I suspect they're offering you a better rate if you pay everything up-front. I suppose its a trade-off. If you know the place and you know you're going to stay there then it might be worth it. In this case, it sounds like the first time you've booked this place. It may cost more this trip but I'd pass on the "good deal", pay a little more and have the freedom to move on if you want to. In this case, as in many others, freedom comes at a price.

I have traveled with travel insurance and without.

I get travel insurance if I see any potential problems.

Health can be a factor for some of us. If there is any chance a health condition may preclude you from trip - then travel insurance is good.

Others have family issues.

I have a dog issue right now. My dog is so old she may drop dead at any time. So I would purchase the travel insurance. The dog needs a decent funeral.

When I was i Pattaya this summer I had to go to hospital for two nights, the first one in a bloody IC unit. If I would have had to pay for this myself I would have been a really poor person today. This taught me the value of travel insurance. Actually I have always had one and I always will but I have never needed to use it before.

ALHOLK

i've recently booked 4 nights/bkk and 10 nights/phuket for may/june next year.

booked online with the same company and had to pay upfront which was a first for me.

i got e-mails from both the internet company and the hotels concerned confirming my reservations.

hopefully i won't get stiffed....

but i have 2 e-mails from each source confirming that i have already paid so there is no way i will put up with any crap if a situation arises.

I used to stay at the City Lodge right by the Nana BTS Station by just rocking up and they always had rooms available for me (never the cheaper ones always the 'Superior' one...funny about that eh?)

So then i started booking from Australia in advance and I'd rock up and both times I did this they said they didn't have a booking for me. I even produced a copy of the email but that didn't matter. Oh but the good news for me was that they had a room for me!!!....but it was the more expensive one of course...hmmmm.

Anyway, I arrived in January this year not having booked in advance and while waiting in the foyer i overheard the conversation in front of me between a man and the clerk who was apologizing as she couldn't find the man's booking. She then offered him....wait for it....a more expensive room!!!!

Can anyone smell a scam here? I asked for a room after that and sure enough the only room they had available was a Superior room. gotta love dodgy hotels

Sayjann and all,

I think booking up nearly a year in advance is not good for a few reasons. Firstly anything can happen in Thailand. Look at Wired Destinations a huge booking website that went tits up earlier this year. They were doing 20,000 bookings per month and went bust. They took the customers's money, the hotels' money and the wholesaler's money.

Secondly the rates for next year are out and they are standard prices. In June next year its low season and hotels will quickly realise that they cannot sell at those rates around Feb-March time and will reduce the rates by up to 40%.

So you will have paid a high price now, for the same room to be nearly halfed in price next year.

Unless the company wil book the rooms for you and not make payment on your credit card like I do for a very advanced booking?

Tim

Archived