Change IMEI for Nokia phones

Hi all,

I have a Nokia8250 and would like to change the IMEI when in Thailand (to use on AIS prepaid OnetoCall).

What would the cost be and whether it's possible to do the change? Heard from previous threads mainly MOtorola and Siemens phone are easy to change - but not Nokia's.

From what I've heard it's now possible to change IMEI on Nokia phones in BKK. I also think Stickman wrote a line or two about it a couple weeks back in the "Stickman Weekly".

http://www.chopsticks.net/stickman/week.html

Price range. I'm not exactly sure since I've not done an IMEI change myself. A friend of mine thjough changed IMEI on a top end Ericsson last week at Mah Boon Krong (MBK) fourth floor. He was quoted normal price 500 baht but "for this model 2300 baht". He went for it and to my understanding it works perfectly.

MBK -- which you prolly already know --is a huge "department store" at the west end of Siam Square.

Straycat

Hi there iutrede,

that sounds reasonable price - 200B.

Other questions I have are would it work again outside of Thailand (what i heard was that it won't work!).

The process of changing IMEI:

Does it consist of a physical change or just a flashing of the memory inside?

That depends on who network wanted a sim locked phone. If your network didnt require a sim locked than you only have to set the IMEI to your target network. However if your home network and the Network in LOS both require a sim locked phone your LOS IMEI is going to have to changed back to your $HOME IMEI when you go home.

Yes just writing to a PROM probably, wouldn it be great if the IMEI was set with a dip switch. There wouldn be much left to talk about here.

AG

Hi!

One of the original objectives with the IMEI number was that stolen units could be blocked and rendered useless. This obviously doesn't work very well with the number in reprogramable memory but to make it possible for anyone to change it would be worse.

regards

ALHOLK

Thanks for the replies.

Thinking in terms of computers - the NIC number is universally unique too. But never cause such problems as network affinity issues!!

Same goes to the Pentium chip number.

Anyway with Orange agressively launching, hope things will go down and I wouldn't mind paying for a new Thailand phone to keep in my drawer whenever i go there.

Archived