Ambassadors outraged by Hitler billboard on Pattaya highway

Flashermac

Frankly,it's none of their bloody business what adverts are displayed in a foreign country,the same as it's none of our business how other countries deal with their own internal affairs,if you get my jist!

I think I get your gist. You seem to be saying that visitors from other countries should have no right to say what they think in the countries they visit. In my country, people are protected by the same laws and rights, we don't have a different constitution that covers people visiting from other countries. Freedom of speech is one of them. Kind of an important one too. It's more the way you think it should be in countries like North Korea or Myanmar.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I find it Ironic that they are up in arms about a billboard in Thailand when there is an exhibition of Hitler Gnomes on display in "Straubing, Germany"

I didn't realize the German ambassador had curated that exhibition. Is it possible that in a country the size of Germany that different people have different opinions?

To me, it seems that anyone who'd find irony there would have to really want to. Why, I wonder.

It's amazing that people get so hot under the collar about Hitler, he's a fascianating historical character. If you look at other leaders from that time mass execution seemed to in vogue, not just in Germany, but its the krauts got a bad name for it; HiroHito they reckon snuffed out about 7 million, Stalin countless millions of his own people there are figures quoted between 10 and 250 million for him, but it's Hitler gets the bad press.

If you were to walk up and down Market Street in Manchester dressed as the Furher, you'd last five minutes tops before you were arrested for some sort of race hate crime or other, dress as Stalin you'd probably get invited into the town hall and offered a senicure in some government funded quango or other.

cheers

Frankly,it's none of their bloody business what adverts are displayed in a foreign country,the same as it's none of our business how other countries deal with their own internal affairs,if you get my jist!

Actually, isn't that EXACTLY their job (to represent their own country's interests in whichever foreign country they're posted)?

I think I get your gist. You seem to be saying that visitors from other countries should have no right to say what they think in the countries they visit. In my country, people are protected by the same laws and rights, we don't have a different constitution that covers people visiting from other countries. Freedom of speech is one of them. Kind of an important one too. It's more the way you think it should be in countries like North Korea or Myanmar.

In Amerika, our guests at Gitmo absolutely do NOT share the same constitutional rights as, say, the guests at Leavenworth Federal Pen. Hell, they're not even covered by the Geneva Conventions.

As for Hitler, some 65 years later, we are still crying "Too soon". One of the problems is, nobody ever talks about the good things Hitler did. :)

Recent popular comedies starring Hitler: "Inglourious Basterds" and "The Producers". Not much squawk about those productions.

And here's a quick Google of "comedy Hitler":

BBC NEWS | Entertainment | Hitler film breaks comedy taboo

2 Jan 2007 ... A comedy about Adolf Hitler is set to break new ground in Germany when it opens in cinemas later this month.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/6226097.stm - Cached - Similar -

BBC NEWS | Europe | Made in Germany: A Hitler comedy

2 Jan 2006 ... Award-winning Swiss Jewish director Dani Levy is to make a controversial comedy film about Adolf Hitler.

news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4576100.stm - Cached - Similar -

Show more results from news.bbc.co.uk

Hitler Comedy No Laughing Matter for Germans : NPR

13 Jan 2007 ... A new German movie  Mein Fuhrer: The Truly Truest Truth About Adolf Hitler  depicts the dictator as a clown. But the project tests both ...

www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6849608 - Similar -

COMEDY: Ha Ha Hitler at Worthing Pavilion - Littlehampton Today

17 Oct 2009 ... COMEDY: Ha Ha Hitler at Worthing Pavilion - THIS time it's Hitler getting the Ha Ha treatment from the Ha Ha Boys in their new show which is ...

www.littlehamptongazette.co.uk/.../COMEDY-Ha-Ha-Hitler-at.5738313.jp - 17 hours ago - Cached - Similar -

Reclaiming the "Hitler" Moustache for Comedy and Democracy! | Facebook

Ultimately the aim of this group and the comedy show "Hitler Moustache" is to change the meaning of this nasal welcome mat so that it stands for ...

www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=141082932432 - Cached - Similar -

Germany's First Nazi Comedy: Meet Hitler, the Bed-Wetting Drug ...

23 Nov 2006 ... German cinema breaks new ground in January with its first comedy about Hitler. Jewish director Dani Levy is following in the footsteps of ...

www.spiegel.de/international/0,1518,450286,00.html - Similar -

"Mein Führer" Review: Dani Levy's Failed Hitler Comedy - SPIEGEL ...

9 Jan 2007 ... There are two parts to Dani Levy's comedy about Hitler, one absurd and the other moral. Unfortunately the result is a balancing act not even ...

www.spiegel.de/international/spiegel/0,1518,458499,00.html - Similar -

etc.

It's amazing that people get so hot under the collar about Hitler, he's a fascianating historical character. If you look at other leaders from that time mass execution seemed to in vogue, not just in Germany, but its the krauts got a bad name for it; HiroHito they reckon snuffed out about 7 million, Stalin countless millions of his own people there are figures quoted between 10 and 250 million for him, but it's Hitler gets the bad press.

If you were to walk up and down Market Street in Manchester dressed as the Furher, you'd last five minutes tops before you were arrested for some sort of race hate crime or other, dress as Stalin you'd probably get invited into the town hall and offered a senicure in some government funded quango or other.

cheers

Amazing? Really? Well, I'll see your amazing and I raise you an amazingly amazed amazement.

Yeah, it's a good point that other genocidal murderers didn't get quite as bad press as they deserved, for whatever politically expedient reasons that existed at the time. You forgot Mao, btw, and Pol Pot. Anyway, it's true, people should get more upset about those guys too. I wouldn't say that means they should get less upset about Hitler though. To support AH's nomination as Most Evil, he did take it to a new level, kind of the Henry Ford of genocide. But I think they're all well past the borderline of evil.

In Amerika, our guests at Gitmo absolutely do NOT share the same constitutional rights as, say, the guests at Leavenworth Federal Pen. Hell, they're not even covered by the Geneva Conventions.

Gee, maybe that's why GITMO is in effing CUBA! Damn that Bush was clever ...

Hitler lost. That apparently makes him the worst. The Khmer Rouge also lost, so they are unquestionably bad guys. Stalin killed more people than Hitler and permanently changed the map of Europe, moving people around by the millions to fit his borders. But Stalin won, so he isn't so bad. Mao is claimed to be the world's biggest mass murderer, but he also won and no one much talks about him.

The message seems to be that you can get away with genocide as long as you don't get defeated. :hmmm:

Hitler lost. That apparently makes him the worst. The Khmer Rouge also lost, so they are unquestionably bad guys. Stalin killed more people than Hitler and permanently changed the map of Europe, moving people around by the millions to fit his borders. But Stalin won, so he isn't so bad. Mao is claimed to be the world's biggest mass murderer, but he also won and no one much talks about him.

The message seems to be that you can get away with genocide as long as you don't get defeated. :hmmm:

Eddie Izzard has a different theory

BFtkJd8w5UQ

Archived