Ambassadors outraged by Hitler billboard on Pattaya highway

Flashermac

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes of course. Both the Thais and the foreigners are within their rights. Speech is either free or it isn't. What's good for the goose etc...See also 'cognitive dissonance'.

Well actually in Thailand it isn't free, but that's a whole other issue.

But for this, the ad agency (how did it get to be "the Thais"?) has the right to put the sign up, and the German and Israeli embassies have the right to shame them into taking it down. It's a win, win. I guess the ad agency could then choose to exercise their right and refuse, and allow it to escalate into an international incident, if that's what they wanted to do. Looks like they picked a different option though.

Stalin's grandson is currently suing a Russian newspaper for calling his gramps a "bloodthirsty cannibal" :dunno:

From the little I've read about Mao, he was more vicious than both of them. In the early days he'd give direct orders to have fellow party members killed by the nastiest torture/execution methods imaginable. He saw this as a good way to send the right message to the rest of the his party. (the message being: follow me... or else) No mentions of cannibalism though.

So it is none of their business to protest because Thais can do whatever they want as it their country?

Btw Hitler never used his left arm. Just another example of poor Thai taste and ignorance. They could have got it at least historically correct.

I just remember the outcry here in Thailand about some youtube clips referring to the one who can’t be named here. As Thailand shows no tolerance here, they should be at least so sensible not to offend other feelings (and here more the ones of the Jews than Germans) with such blatant nonsense.

it was "offensive" and "utterly tasteless"

How could anyone possibly use these words in connection with Thailand?

I was only admiring a few tasteful teeshirt slogans in Big C yesterday.

Still I suppose anything that keeps the Germans out of Pattaya and the Israeli backpackers out of Chiang Rai can't be all bad.

Guantanamo became a "permanent lease" to the US by a treaty in 1903. The Cubans were grateful for American help in getting rid of Spain a few years earlier, plus they were sort of a protectorate at the time and couldn't really object very much. Castro insists the treaty is invalid and refuses to cash the annual "rent" checks. His government did cash the first one they got, but Fidel insists that was an oops and has refused to cash all the rest.

Archived