Stickman on "Changes in Bangkok Nightlife"

But you were there, right?

:cover:

:content:

Precisely. There was a completely different tone to the place. Much more charming and relaxed.

Flash has given a good example of the kind of interaction that went on between farang and Thais. We were still a novelty. It was about money too of course but everybody was less mercenary. Perhaps because we didn't understand how little they could live on and they didn't realize how much we had.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But you were there' date=' right?

:cover:

:content: [/quote']

Precisely. There was a completely different tone to the place. Much more charming and relaxed.

Flash has given a good example of the kind of interaction that went on between farang and Thais. We were still a novelty. It was about money too of course but everybody was less mercenary. Perhaps because we didn't understand how little they could live on and they didn't realize how much we had.

Have no idea what it used to be like, my first trip there was this Summer and initially - those first few days - I didn't think much of BKK. Lots of odd (nutter) tourist characters and the women were so casual and blase about sex... it was missing an element of excitement. There was no humor either. Not to mention that army of hucksters making absurdly cheesy attempts to separate you from your cash.

That was first impression, but then... the place started to seep in. And I found some magic. And I'm going back.

Don't get too washed up in the waves of sentimentality, the good old days probably weren't all that (or maybe they were), and there is still much potential in Thailand for adventure. Along with a very visceral experience of life and the mental, physical, and even spiritual stimulation that brings.

That's all I got.

I think you know why. There are 'some' who identify strongly with Thai culture for some reason. They may even think they belong in Thailand. Obviously there are 'some' who are so deluded they see themselves as honorary Thais. They take any negative comments about Thailand personally.

:thumbup: :yeahthat:

No truer words written on this board in a long time, CW.

The sort of farangs who wear yellow "king" shirts on Mondays and (a year or so ago anyway) Jatukarm Ramathep icons around their necks. :doah:

The sort of guys who say "the know Thailand" but have never left Sukhumwit Soi 4 or Pattaya Beach Road. :shakehead

Oh, God ... the prats in shorts, flip flops and the King's shirt! :doah:

My Mrs told me she bought two King's shirts for me, then decided not to give them to me. She said it wasn't right for foreigners to wear them (though some Farangs teaching at secondary schools were required to). That was the way I felt about it. Sort of like an infidel wearing a Hajj cap. :hmmm:

It has changed, and I see the negatives, but I also see plenty of positives.

I was much younger when I started living here 15+ years ago (simple arithmatic). I don't stay out as late now. Don't drink as much either or the same stuff.

Now, I can meet a girls at wine bar, she knows what she likes and doesn't like, and I have a great evening and go to work hangover free in the morning. Can't imagine that happening when I first came here. No internent either - or very little.

Plently has changed, but its certainly not all for the worst.

Archived