Stickman on "Changes in Bangkok Nightlife"

Notice how in Stickman's latest weekly column--and let me say that I'm normally a defender of his, but he kind of lost me with this one--on all the changes in BANGKOK nightlife over the past 10 years, all but one of the photos he uses as "evidence" (well, it's implied anyway!) of those changes are actually photos of Pattaya!! Kind of lame...

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well, not just that, but several things:

1. in his latest post he's totally doing the passive-aggressive WESTERN JOURNALISM thing of making these grand (and ridiculous) statements via the photos he chooses to post (yet "easy" to back out of by saying "oh, I never meant to link the photo to the text"...which is of course bullshit)

2. he misses lots of important points, such as the fact that the current trend of non-traditional tattoos on Thai girls (and not just BGs) stems directly from FARANG INFLUENCE!! that influence is both from brain-dead dreadlocked farang trendies trying to be "cool" with their tattoos and the whole (equally brain-dead!) bald British thug scene...

3. he makes claims about the "body price" of bar girls when he (supposedly...heheh) hasn't taken girls home to fuck for years...so how does he know the prices?? as anyone who is not a tourist solely after "stunners" knows, those prices are incredibly flexible...personally, I have NO interest in "stunners"...I never liked those kinds of girls in the West ("beautiful"...who thin their shit don't stink), so why would I go after them in Thailand?!

but anyway, the "ordinary" girls I go for, I have NEVER paid more than 1,500 long time for...and I NEVER bargain with them prior to taking them. so how does Mr. "I love my wife" know so much about body price?

Like I said in my OP, I've defended Mr. Stickman for years as others have decried him as a negative, bitchy cry baby, but I gotta say, he's starting to wear out his welcome, even with a fan like me...the bullshit is starting to stink! haha

haha, like I said, I've always been one of his number 1 defenders...and lord knows he's needed them. when he loses me, things gotta be bad, haha.

I read the Stickman site because I USUALLY agree with it...unlike many people, who complain that he's just gotten too negative, bitter, dismissive of Thailand, etc. Up until now, I've defended him against such criticism.

But according to him, I'm somehow not allowed to read stuff I don't agree with? I'm offering constructive criticism. But apparently that bothers him.

and why is my point no. 2 so "laughable"? he posited in his article (again...Western "journalist style"...) that somehow Thai BGs getting non-traditional tattoos was a bad thing that illustrated their "downfall"...I was merely pointing out that one of the direct influences on their adopting Western tattoos was in fact contact with Western men!!

and I see Mr. Stickman has still not addressed the fact that he "supported" his claim about Bangkok bar girls adopting Western tattoos WITH A PHOTO OF A TATTOOED PATTAYA BARGIRL...what's up with that, Mr. Journalist??

Hi,

Guys, I don't mind any of you criticizing (or praising :) ) Stickman's articles, but please do not attack the guy himself.

"I don't hear people ranting about radio or TV or magazines or newspapers they don't like. But when it comes to stuff online, some people do."

Stick, I think this is because it is much easier to find other people who have read the same content, especially when it comes to niche topics like our sites. I think it is a fair assessment that quite a few of your readers post/read here.

The newspaper doesn't really fit in your list, btw, as the comments sections (of the online version) are often full of criticism.

Sanuk!

Archived