Chocolate

All good, that's for sure. I remember a Godiva stand in Gaysorn Plaza way back when, but it's obviously not there NOW, and I hadn't been in Gaysorn for months (years?) before it closed for renovations, so I don't know if it was there for a long period or not.

Actually, I was talking about desserts that you order in a restaurant, BUT...since you mention chocolate of the bon bon variety, the different Oriental Shops, the bakeries connected with the Oriental Hotel, have some DAMNED good chocolate. For Valentine's Day of 2001 (2000?), I got my wife a box of chocolates from the one inside Isetan Department Store, filled with Bailey's Irish Cream. She let me eat a couple, and OH MAN!!! smile.gif

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would be gratefull indeed if someone could tell me where exactly to find Belgian pralines (Neuhaus, Corne Toison d'or, Godiva, even Leonidas - the cheap ones)and Belgian chocolate bars (Cote d'or would be the best known) around Bangkok.

And yes KS, althoug the Belgians sold Cote d'or to the Swiss, I still believe Belgian plain chocolat has the best taste.

Callebout is number one worldwide for the production of "couverture" chocolate, ie the chocolate used to make whatever "chocolate" you buy in the shop, filled or plain, industrial or artisanal. Think of easter eggs and Sinterklaas chocolate. (I know this because Callebout was one of my customers)

By the way, the Callebout plain chocolate bars you find in Belgium are not produced by Callebout.

Well, boys, I think I have the answer to some of your prayers. The place I am thinking of is probably the place Khun Sanuk referred to and clearly they need to get their marketing act together.

On Sukhumvit Soi 49 there is a small factory owned and operated by 2 Belgian brothers who imported the equipment from an old factory in Belgium and who hand-manufacture Belgian chocolates. (I think that is mostly correct)

Apart from one offs like Ploenchit Fair where they have set up stalls, I think most of their sales are through Hotel shops like the Oriental. I am sure a phone call would provide the details of other outlets, or go and pay them a visit at their lovely little factory (they have a shop there).

Also, from an old Pattaya Mail:

"Duc de Praslin, the famous Belgian chocolates produced by Jean-Luis Graindorge in Bangkok, are back in Pattaya! They have moved from the Royal Garden and now can be found at the new Manneken Pis Bakery & Tearoom in Soi Yamato. "

Duc De Praslin, Belgium

16 Sukhumvit Soi 49-14

Tel : (662) 381-6690, (662) 381-6691

LG

Wow! I have a doctor's appointment next month at Samitivej Hospital, up that same soi. I do believe that I will check that out. Thanks. Do you happen to know if that's close to Sukhumvit, or farther up the soi, like Samitivej is?

• 4 weeks later...

True to my word, I did indeed go look for that chocolate shop after my doctor's appointment, and I found it. Damn! Bought some excellent chocolate there, really, really good. Thanks for the tip, Long Gun.

It's called Duc de Praslin --- Belgium, and here are the particulars:

Duc de Praslin --- Belgium

16 Sukhumvit Soi 49/14

Tel: 02-381-6690-1

Fax: 02-381-6690

Soi 49/14 is NOT like Eden's Soi 7/1; it's NOT along Sukhumvit itself, but rather an offshoot of Soi 49, rather far from Suhkumvit. Go up Soi 49 a little ways past Samithivej Hospital, and the subsoi will be on the right (the even numbered subsois are on the right-hand side of Soi 49.)

Not cheap, but from what I could tell, not as expensive as at, say, the Oriental shops. The lady at this shop confirmed that they do supply the Oriental and like shops with chocolate, so I guess going straight to this place cuts out the middle man. I think this would be a great place for a little gift for someone (just make sure not to let them melt!)

Archived