I think I just found Malaysias cheapest..

gobbledonk

CTO has a point - anything you can do to avoid the traffic in KL is worth it. One of the cabbies claims that its all about the fact that there is very little free parking around the glittering shopping complexes, and Malays will do laps trying to find a park. Whatever the reason, they really need the Singapore/London system where people are charged for driving in the CBD : any addition to the cabfare pays for itself in decreased travel time, IMO.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KL is OK for short term. Long term, a bit of a hassle to try and live there. At one time, I had an apartment overlooking the valley and the towers. Outside the city enough but always had to drive in the city for nightlife and shopping. No train available.

Did find some decent pubs; Titanic (small, local with live music). Most of the rest were like hostess pubs (Chinese Malay) where my local friends took me. Take out ladies available but expensive ($200+ USD for LT).

I'd stay in the Tower Regency right next door...should be able to get a room there for around RM160-180....

In KL I like Impania, Concorde or Rennisance, all in the same area and usually priced in the RM220 to RM300 range depending on the day and availability...

Excellent feedback in this thread - M'sia is a lot more popular among T360ers than I might have thought. Had to work hard to convince a Cambo-Aussie guy that M'sia wasnt the hardline Muslim state he had been led to believe, and I think that attitude is prevalent in Thailand too - Ms CP had to go and see Papa to allay his fears about his daughter being taken to a 'dangerous' place like M'sia. I look forward to returning her to him, intact, with stories of (hopefully) good times and happy people.

By the way, you are correct about Ipoh and not much to do. Everyone says that it is known for great food and beautiful women.....I've lived here for 6 months now and pity the rest of the country if this is the best they have to offer in both!

There is alot of good chinese food in the area you are staying (Regal/Tower). Some of it is difficult if you don't know the language. Don't try the thai food in the area of the hotel...pretty crappy. Restaurant Soon Fatt (love the name!) in the street between Tower and Excelsior is pretty good - for Indian food Pakeezas (spelled wrong) across from Tower/Regal is OK

• 3 weeks later...

Ipoh tomorrow - quick recommendation for the Cititel in Penang first. From the minute we checked in, it was immediately apparent that the same money in Malaysia buys you so much more than it did in Singapore (Fragrance hotels are a 'one night only for business travellers' job imo, but some had entire families in that tiny room ..). I'm lying here this afternoon, thanking my lucky stars that our luck changed, when room service drops off a free basket of fruit - I'm speechless. Downside is that their feedback form is bigger than the last Oz census, but I'm going to fill the thing in - these guys deserve credit where its due.

• 1 month later...

Apols Danno - I liked Ipoh a LOT, particularly compared to the madness in both KL and Georgetown, but then I'm an old guy and I like my peace and quiet. Some of the old mansions in Ipoh are fantastic - can definitely tell it was a town that made people very rich in a short space of time. Little wonder most of the population is ethnic Chinese :)

Archived