An interesting account of Indians in Thailand

bust

I always seem to have at least one run-in with them every time in LOS. This time was no different. Standing in the rain outside the Indra Centre during a thunderstorm a couple of Saturdays ago I watched two middle aged Indian men grab an umberella off a young thai girl and stand under it. I walked over and grabbed it back for her and told them to "fuck off" which they clearly understood. Showed absolutely no shame. Next the same two tried to jump in my cab. As I opened the door they started to climb in ahead of me. I grabbed the first one by the arm and yanked him out. Again no apology just this stupid look on their faces.

So was interested in just how many there are in LOS and found this article. Maybe of little interest to most but perhaps someone can add to the info.

The links between the Indian sub-continent and Thailand have been documented by historians. Evidence of the presence of a sizeable number of Indians during the Sukhothai and Ayutthaya periods has been described by a number of Western travellers to the Thai court. Indian influence was noticeable in the religion and manners of the royalty. Indians were also seen to play an important part in trading activities.

Netaji in Thailand

The Chairman of the Indian National Army, Sardar Ishar Singh Narula, a resident of Thailand witnessing Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose signing visitors book at Emerald Buddha Temple (Wat Pra Kaey), Bangkok in the year 1943

The presence of Indians, who have settled in Thailand can be traced back to more than 100 years ago. Some Indians have been settled there for 3-4 generations. The earliest groups to have gone in sizeable numbers to Thailand appear to have been the Tamils. Phuket in Southern Thailand seems to have been the first area that experienced a spill over of Tamils from Penang and peninsular Malaysia. Most of them went there to participate in the cattle trade and the mining of precious stones, with service groups like the Chettiyars following them. As Bangkok grew in commercial importance during the 19th century, Tamils also moved to Bangkok from Phuket, Penang and Singapore. Until 1940, the Bohras and Tamil Muslim Merchants from Pondicherry and Karaikal, all of whom were French subjects, were the only important businessmen in Thailand. After the first wave of Tamils and Bohra Muslims, came the Punjabis and the UPites.

Almost all the Indians in Thailand are found in urban centres. About 75% of them lives in Bangkok. The other urban centers, where Indians are found in sizeable numbers, include Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai and Lampang . all in Northern Thailand. The largest component of the Indian community is that of Sikhs numbering around 30 to 35,000 followed by Hindus numbering between 15 to 18,000 originally from West Punjab, i.e., presently Pakistan. They are followed by persons from UP, Gujaratis, Marwaris, Maharashtrians, Sindhis and South Indians. A majority of the members of Indian community are well-established, mainly in the textile, real estate or gems and jewellery business. They have been playing a very active role in the economic development of Thailand.

A large number of religious and cultural organisations have been formed by the PIOs. Culturally the community is very active and organises various Indian cultural events and festivals from time to time. It has adapted and integrated itself very well with the local population and conditions.

Presence of a large number of Indians in various International and UN organisations, multinational companies, banks, financial institutions as well as the progress that India has made specially in the field of information and communication technology has helped in giving India and the Indians in Thailand a progressive modern and forward looking image. The community is held in high esteem among the official and political circles as well as among the common people of Thailand.

The setting up of the Aditya Birla Group of Industries around 32 years ago, Indo-Rama Group about 12 years ago and Thai Baroda Industries Ltd. about 7 years ago have contributed considerably to improving the image and prestige of the Indian community in local circles. Involvement of the Indian social and cultural organisations in charitable and philanthropic activities has also played a significant role in enhancing the standing of the Indian community. Some of the members of the community have also been decorated with honours and awards by the Thai Government.

gurudwara in Thailand

Bird view of present building of Gurudwara Siri Guru Singh Sabha, Bangkok, which consists of Diwan Hall, Langar Hall,Kindergarten School and Guru Nanak Mission Clinic. All the activities of the community are being held here.

Most of the PIOs in Thailand have obtained Thai citizenship. They are issued long-term visas by the Indian Mission in the country to enable them to visit India. The PIOs in Thailand visit India frequently and remain in touch with their Motherland. There is also an increasing awareness among them about the educational facilities in India and a considerable number of them have been sending their children to India for studies, since most Indians parents prefer their children to retain their Indian cultural identity. By studying in India, the children can also acquire a good knowledge of English, which is useful later in the business and commercial sectors.

Consequent upon the down turn of the Thai economy since 1997, the Indian community has shown greater interest in investment in various projects in India.A large number of them are interested in investing in India and can be useful in expanding our relations with Thailand in the economic and commercial fields, including the tourism sector. They can play a possible role in the BIMST-EC (Bangladesh, India, Myanmar, Sri Lanka and Thailand . Economic Cooperation) and Mekong-Ganga River Valley Project.

http://www.thaindian.com/about-thailand/an-interesting-account-of-indians-in-thailand.html

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest HonoluluJimmy

Very Few of anything good. Look at all the numbers of Punjab Brats working underage on the streets in the resort areas. I suppose its better than sewing soccer balls!

Yesterday I was in Patong getting some fake LV bags for a couple of BG's I like and for sure there were some under 18 punjab mendicants working the massage hustle at the Family Mart near to the Thara Patong. Promised massage, she nude and would do )(*&^%$ everything. Right next to those LB's... Where are the parents, selling t shirts, probably near by!

I must admit that One Dr from India who is a baby bone doc did well for my housekeepers grandaughter. The 2 years old broke her arm and the cast looked like play dough junk and warpper in and ace bandage. He xrayed and found the bone to be doing well but we replaced cast with a proper one with a outer wrap in pink for the little girl.

My friend VI, he lives in a Thai compound in Klong Toey, with his Thail wife, family and hangers on.

They have an Indian landlord, he is also a money lender, he can also give a farang a visa to stay in the Kingdom for one year without any need for visa runs.

Yes they appear to be quite poweerful and respected.

STH

There's an Indian family owns a DVD shop in the city center here. The daughters run it and are seriously cute.

They're not shy about showing their tits off with low cut tops either; the Thai girls tend to cover up a bit more, or have less to show off perhaps.

The DVDs are expensive by Burmese standards but there's an advantage of being able to take them back if you get a crook one.

Next the same two tried to jump in my cab. As I opened the door they started to climb in ahead of me. I grabbed the first one by the arm and yanked him out. Again no apology just this stupid look on their faces.

Pushing, butting in line, fucking people over is part of their culture same as Arabs.

It never fails standing in line at the Dubai airport Indians/Arabs will push their farking luggage trolley into the back of your legs just to gain a few centimeters of forward movement! Usually a stern look will put them off but I have had to give the trolley a kick back into their groin to get the point across!

Never really had a run in with one in LOS with the exception of the wankers on the street saying “you’re a lucky man,†piss-off I know I’m lucky I’m with a 22 year old beauty!!

S1

Most of the property around lower Sukhumvit is Indian owned, the result of a big land grant to Indian merchants by one of the 19th century kings. It was really nothing but a swamp at the time, Sukhumvit was a canal.

Many Suk. area hotels and apartment "mansions" are Indian owned; Soi 12 used to be informally called "Soi India".

Whether this is true or not, I don't know but I have read that since the land was granted by a King, it can not be sold; only leased long term, so it stays in family hands over many generations.

You know there is a disparaging Thai joke about Indians and snakes. We've also seen posts here about farang oriented bars barring Indians.

I'd say the Thai relationship with and attitude about Indians is more complex and more varied than meets the eye - sort of like Thailand's engagement with with the "West" (if you believe such a thing exists in contrast to the "East" or Asia - I don't; it's a myth that makes for easy and often totally false generalizations).

I've found a good cure for the pests trying to sell suits ( not just indians, but mostly) they only try it once on me.

just offer your hand shake when they approach, grab hold and drag them along a bit, they never try it agin. ( and even flinch next time I walk by and make a reach in their direction)

You know there is a disparaging Thai joke about Indians and snakes.

Gaddy,

Even though it is said in jest the "Joke" actualy shows how a lot of Thais actualy feel about Indians.

Even my wife who I would define as rather sensible for a Thai (Grad from a Top BKK Uni / Masters in the USA) has a deep lying distrust of Indians in business dealings and if an Indian couple / family sit at the next table to us in a Restaurant she will ask to be moved to another table.

Slightly off topic, in Doha the local Qatari's latest game is to try and clip "The Kennedy's" with car wing mirror whilst driving in the city.

Kennedy = JFK (Jingley Fucking Kunt)

Archived