Universal Power Supply..

rookie

I was given a used, but functional, UPS.

I've never previously used one and have a question.

The electricity supply in the condo I rent, like most places in Thailand, isn't grounded. Periodically there are some very brief power surges as well as some temporary blackouts; none have ever damage my computer equipment (yet).

I believe the UPS can help with the blackouts, with it's backup battery, but can it help with the power surges? Or is it even worthwhile using it?

thanks...

If it is a proper UPS, meaning that the main power is used to keep the battery charged up and the battery power is then converted into main power (220 Vac).

Yep, it has a battery, weighs about 15-lbs and has rows of plugin receptacles for 'surge' and 'backup'. Upon checking on the Net, I found it's not an expensive model...new about 2300-Bt....but better than nothing!

So, even though the condo's electrical system is _not_ grounded, it will protect against surge?

Yep, it has a battery, weighs about 15-lbs and has rows of plugin receptacles for 'surge' and 'backup'. Upon checking on the Net, I found it's not an expensive model...new about 2300-Bt....but better than nothing!

So, even though the condo's electrical system is _not_ grounded, it will protect against surge?

Grounding has nothing to do with "Surge".

The way an UNINTERURRUPTIBLE (as Phil Pointed out) power supply works is the incoming supply is filtered through an Autotransformer and also feeds the batteries via a charger, Autotransformer filters out harmonic Distortion.

On deviation from normal power source level be it under voltage (power loss) or over voltage (surge) Autotransformer is bypassed and power is taken from the batteries via an inverter (DC - AC Converter) for the duration of deviations, duration for under voltage is dependent on battery size.

Simple analogy think of a Sink / Basin (Batteries) with a Tap / Faucet feeding it (Power Source) and a Plug / Drain (Feed to PC)

If the flow in increases Sink Level will rise but drain flow remains the same, If flow in decreases / stops level will fall (batteries discharge) but maintains flow until empty

Some of the cheap UPS will not be a bumpless transfer of power.

Last time I was in China, I bought a cheapie and it was not bumpless, which made a problem for my external hard drive, but other then that, it was OK.

I think they used a relay to make the power transfer, thus, the bump and momentary loss of power.

Thanks...Cavanami and Mekong for the info.

The UPS is now inline...and must be working as, for the first time is years, I no longer can feel a slight electrical tingle when touching the computer box.

Shygye...I think you'll find most older places in Thailand are not electrically grounded. About 1 or 2 years ago they finally passed an ordinance that all new construction must now be electriclly grounded. Fortunately, for those in older places there is no 'dancing' in the shower, as shower water heaters have a GFI!

Archived