Question for those who live in LOS

dave32

Sent Thammasat University a couple queries about the program, so far I like what I see.

I'll give an update and may have more questions once the time is near. Proof is in the pudding right?

btw - Peace Corps. A couple people I work with are ex peace corps, and they're hands down the two best people here and the ones I go to in a crunch.

I knew 3 or 4 good people back in school that washed out after a month or two in the program. It ain't easy.

Also gives you credibility.

In other words - thank you.

Shygye - put me down for 100 (US) on the over. :)

My Peace Corps group was different. Besides the usual bunch of save-the-world liberals, there were 4 VN vets, a guy who been stationed in Saphan Kwai, and a couple of other ex-GIs. We brought the average Thailand volunteer's age up by about 2 years. Also, we were one of the first groups to train entirely in Thailand. Earlier groups spent their first month in Hawaii - and couples started pairing off. We hit the beach running and headed straight for the bars.

Yeah, we had to work ... but it was in THAILAND!

:snowlaugh:xmascheer:xmsgrin::xmascheer:snowgrin:

p.s. TU is one of the most respected universities in Thailand. Anything from them would look good on your resume. The international courses are all on the main campus just north of the Grand Palace and next to Sanam Luang. Lots of good restaurants and lots of cute Thai gals (usually business college students) working as waitresses at the tourist oriented restaurants between Wat Chana Songkram and the river!

My Peace Corps group was different. Besides the usual bunch of save-the-world liberals, there were 4 VN vets, a guy who been stationed in Saphan Kwai, and a couple of other ex-GIs.

The group I knew at school that washed out or quit would fall into the save-the-world naive category.

The couple (peace corp) guys I've worked with in Los Angeles though -- hard to define. Both intelligent and low-key, cynical about politics.

One I miss in particular, he recently transferred up to Northern CA (we're all entitled to flaws in our logic). This guy went out of his way to help me out, never asked for anything in return.

A few years back I was in tough spot and answering phones for a production company on the Disney Studio lot (and no, I never had aspirations to become an actor)-- anyway, there were a few weeks downtime between projects and I took an outside temp position putting together Access databases for a nursing research program. He was one of the execs the work went to, liked it, wanted me to stay and do more. Fuck it, OK. After a few months, said he wanted to have lunch, told me that this EMR thing was coming (electronic charting for healthcare) and it was coming big -- and that I should get serious for a moment. And then he sent me over to talk to a couple of his colleagues.

Seemingly small gestures, but opened doors to a much better spot. Gave me a little stability and room to maneuver when it was needed.

Damn, I'm babbling.

Anyway, now it's time to get crackin on other things that have been neglected, and to start prepping for operation bumrush Thailand. AKA, 'get busy living, or get busy dying...'

See ya in the funnies.

"I never take myself too seriously,

'cause everybody knows -- fat birds don't fly"

Archived